Go Back   Canada at War Forums > Canada and Second World War (World War II) > SWW Canadian Soldier Research Help
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2017, 10:32 AM   #21
Temujin

Here's a "quick" look at Juno Beach. This information is from the Juno Beach Center

http://www.junobeach.info/index.htm

Heather, if you'd like "detailed" (I'm talking about very detailed) information about the landings, let me know and I'll send you a PM. I have been working on information for the past 3 years detailing the landing craft, what they carried and when etc etc on Juno Beach. When you see this information, you can understand the immensity of the operation, and why it took "years" to prepare.

Some of the sources I used in preparation of the document (I haven't listed them all, just the main source):

Operation "Neptune" Force 'J' Operation Orders - dated 19 May 1944 (DND - R24, C17, Vol 17,763, Reel T-7620, Library and Archives Canada)

Force 'J' Operational Instructions - dated 18 May 1944 (DND - R24, C17, Vol 17,763, Reel T-7620, Library and Archives Canada)

7th Cdn Infantry Brigade Landing Tables - Neptune/Overlord - dated May 1944 (DND - R24, C17, Vol 17,763, Reel T-7620, Library and Archives Canada)

7th Cdn Infantry Brigade - Op Order No 1 - Neptune/Overlord - dated 14 May 1944 (DND - R24, C17, Vol 17,763, Reel T-7620, Library and Archives Canada)

8th Cdn Infantry Brigade Landing Tables - Neptune/Overlord - dated May 1944 (DND - R24, C17, Vol 17,763, Reel T-7620, Library and Archives Canada)

8th Cdn Infantry Brigade Adm Order No 7 - Neptune/Overlord - dated 20 May 1944 (DND - R24, C17, Vol 17,763, Reel T-7620, Library and Archives Canada)

9th Cdn Infantry Brigade Landing Tables - Neptune/Overlord - dated May 1944 (DND - R24, C17, Vol 17,763, Reel T-7620, Library and Archives Canada)

Canadian Army Headquarters Historical Report No 54

Juno Beach - The Canadians On D-Day - http://www.junobeach.info/

ONI 226 - Landing Craft and Ships, US Navy Department, Division of Naval Intelligence - 1944
http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk

Reports and War Diaries of military units involved

History of The Corps of Royal Engineers, 1939 - 1946

History of The Corps of Royal Canadian Engineers, Vol 2

U.S. and British Army Task Organization Operation OVERLORD: 6 June 1944
ANNEX A: Task Organization to Operation OVERLORD
Gen Bernard L. MONTGOMERY
21st Army Group

http://www.mcdoa.org.uk/Operation_Ne...nesweeping.htm

http://www.mcdoa.org.uk/Operation_Ne...e_on_D_Day.htm

Operation NEPTUNE: The Invasion of Normandy - https://www.history.navy.mil/researc...n-neptune.html
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:37 AM   #22
Temujin

Old 03-22-2017, 10:43 AM   #23
Temujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Smith View Post
My understanding is that the RWR went to Britain for training prior to the war. What date approximately would that have been?
In World War II the regiment landed in England in September 1940. As part of the 7th Infantry Brigade, 3rd Canadian Division
Old 03-22-2017, 10:50 AM   #24
Temujin

Quote:
What would the training consist of? I figure the troops already had basic training in Canada?
This document outlines the training of the Canadian Army in Canada and when it reached England (you can download this PDF file to read at your leisure):

SHARPENING THE SABRE:
CANADIAN INFANTRY COMBAT TRAINING DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR

https://www.ruor.uottawa.ca/bitstrea...016_thesis.pdf
Old 03-22-2017, 06:09 PM   #25
Heather Smith

Thank you, Mark, for all the details and resources.
Heather
Heather Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:22 PM   #26
Heather Smith

Hi Temujin,
The details you have given are really interesting. Can you send me more of your researched information? Really glad to have the map of where different groups were sent.

As for my uncle, he enlisted 21 Jan 43, so he would have gone to the UK at a later date than the first group. Does your research have any of these details? When did the War Diaries/Records start being written? That is, just as the actual war was beginning or when training for war began, or...?

So, please send me some of your research by PM when you are able. It sounds interesting. Thank you,
Heather
Old 03-23-2017, 12:00 PM   #27
Temujin

Quote:
As for my uncle, he enlisted 21 Jan 43, so he would have gone to the UK at a later date than the first group. Does your research have any of these details? When did the War Diaries/Records start being written? That is, just as the actual war was beginning or when training for war began, or...?
War diaries are a day-to-day description of unit activities for army units in active service, and contain information about unit location and the military operations in which it may be involved. The diaries rarely mention individuals by name, with the exception of some references to officers.

In WW1, War Dairies were to detail "Actions in the Field", but in World War 2 units started war diaries as early as the "mobilization in Canada". But it wasn't standardized, and many units didn't start war diaries until they reached England. Also, ALL UNIT's were to write war diaries, so individual "smaller units", for example a Artillery Battery etc, would start War Diaires, but when they were subsquently assigned to a larger unit, for example a Artillery Battery became part of an Artillery Regiment.....the Regiment then wrote the War Diary for the Batteries that were a part of that Regiment.

For details on your uncle's "travels" in the military, his Military Records are the best source for these details. They would confirm when he joined a unit, and when he "sailed" for England or for other destinations (like the Med or France)
Old 03-23-2017, 05:47 PM   #28
Heather Smith

Thank you, T.
The notes I have about my uncle's movements end Dec 43, when I think he was in/or had recently been in hospital. So I am not able to find out his movements from that time to D-Day. I have all of the information from Ancestry.

Is there any other place I can go to find the 1944 information without going to LAC?

Thank you for any help/suggestions that you are able to give.

Heather
Old 03-23-2017, 06:08 PM   #29
BFBSM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Is there any other place I can go to find the 1944 information without going to LAC?

Thank you for any help/suggestions that you are able to give.

Heather
Heather,

You could try looking at the War Diaries of the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division, I should think they would contain details on the location of their various component units.

Mark
BFBSM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:54 PM   #30
Heather Smith

Thank you Mark,
I here been in contact with RWR about the War Diaries, so now I'll just wait for their response.

Heather