Old 05-19-2017, 09:09 PM   #1
Sinnett.D

Default 4 th Princess Louise Dragoon Guards Rgt. Second World War.

My father Lewis Sinnett was a soldier in this Regiment . He was talking to us about the Battle of Mount Cassino . He died in 2005 , in Gaspe .Qc.Canada , Also a cousin of his, David Moran , died Feb-6-1945 , and is buried in Ravenna's Cemetery. I am new on this site , how do I find more info ? Thanks for readind me .

Diane .
Sinnett.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:10 AM   #2
Temujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinnett.D View Post
My father Lewis Sinnett was a soldier in this Regiment . He was talking to us about the Battle of Mount Cassino . He died in 2005 , in Gaspe .Qc.Canada , Also a cousin of his, David Moran , died Feb-6-1945 , and is buried in Ravenna's Cemetery. I am new on this site , how do I find more info ? Thanks for readind me .

Diane .
Diane, for you father, you can order his military records from LAC.....unfortunately you won't be able to get his FULL records until until 2025, but they will give you abbreviated records. Look on this website under Second World War and it has a link to LAC that explains how to order his records.

I will post up what I can find for David Moran as soon as I can find it

Cheers
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:27 AM   #3
Temujin

Old 05-20-2017, 12:29 AM   #4
Temujin

Old 05-20-2017, 12:31 AM   #5
Temujin

Old 05-20-2017, 12:33 AM   #6
Temujin

Old 05-20-2017, 01:29 AM   #7
Temujin

Old 05-20-2017, 03:16 AM   #8
BFBSM
Super Moderator

Default Some Light Reading

Diane,

Temujin has provided you with a great deal of information from your Uncle's records, always excellent work from him. I have some reading suggestions for you:

Six Years of War: The Army in Canada, Britain and the Pacific, Volume I of the Official History of the Canadian Army in the Second World War

The Canadians in Italy, 1943 - 1945, Volume II of the Official History of the Canadian Army in the Second World War

These will help you to trace some of the movements of both your Uncle and your father. The first link will take you to the Official History's first volume which provides information on the activities in the UK prior to you Uncle going to France in 1940, and what happened in France and why they left so quickly.

The second volume details the Canadian Troops activities in the invasion of Italy, from Sicily.

There are some other books available, e.g. The D-Day Dodgers by Daniel G. Dancocks, but so far in my reading that seems to be a rehash of the official history. The books by Mark Zuehlke offer some interesting context from those who served, they form his Canadian Battle Series and details can be found here: http://zuehlke.ca/military-literary-...battle-series/.

Good luck with your research, and if there is anything we can do to help, please come back and yell.

Mark
BFBSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:22 AM   #9
Temujin

Gun crew with their Ordnance QF 17-pounder anti-tank gun of the 57th Battery, 1st Anti-Tank Regiment, Royal Canadian Artillery, near Campobasso, Italy, 25 October 1943. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3599876)