Old 07-01-2017, 11:58 AM   #1
RonCor

Default Mint coin on Dieppe raid gets it wrong

The Royal Canadian Mint has released a $ 20 fine silver coin to commemorate the 75th anniversary of Operation Jubilee... the raid against the port of Dieppe.
The Mint got it wrong does not call it the Dieppe Raid but the "Battle of Dieppe".
The August 19, 1942, assault has been called a raid for nearly 75 years... why
call it something else now?
The Mint apologized if it offended anyone but refuses to recall the incorrect designation and restrike it.
Veterans groups tried to pressure the Mint but to no avail.
If a product is historically defective, it should be recalled.
RonCor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:56 AM   #2
Temujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonCor View Post
The Royal Canadian Mint has released a $ 20 fine silver coin to commemorate the 75th anniversary of Operation Jubilee... the raid against the port of Dieppe.
The Mint got it wrong does not call it the Dieppe Raid but the "Battle of Dieppe".
The August 19, 1942, assault has been called a raid for nearly 75 years... why
call it something else now?
The Mint apologized if it offended anyone but refuses to recall the incorrect designation and restrike it.
Veterans groups tried to pressure the Mint but to no avail.
If a product is historically defective, it should be recalled.
Myself, I agree, the naming would have been more appropriate to say "Dieppe Raid".......but the more importantly the Mint is honouring the soldiers, sailors and airmen who served during this mission, and to me that is the important part, and thats what I would think of when seeing this coin.

I'm not sure if the words "Dieppe Raid" were used in official documentation or this name came from newspapers at the time? And "stuck" from that period onward.

The actual mission code name was "Operation Jubilee" as you stated.....but in the planning stages was known as "Operation Rutter"

I know that on the Battle Honours of the Regiments and units that took part that day is simply "Dieppe" (as is the naming of most Battle Honours) and thinking about it, maybe the coin should have simple said the Battle Honour "Dieppe" with the year 1942 (As the Canadian's did liberate Dieppe later in the war)

So, I'm not saying you are incorrect, I'm simply saying that I appreciate that the men and women who served during Operation Jubilee are remembered and that our children, when seeing the words "Dieppe" on this coin would ask "what does this mean" and the SOMEONE would give them the total information.........
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:14 AM   #3
Temujin

I just checked and the first official Canadian Army historical document "written" about Dieppe is actually worded:

Preliminary Report on Operation "Jubilee" (The Raid on Dieppe), 18 Aug 1942

This report is dated 19 Sept 1942, and was written by Major C.P. Stacey (Historical Officer)
Old 07-07-2017, 11:53 PM   #4
RonCor

I have yet to find a source that calls Operation Jubilee anything but the "Raid on Dieppe" or the "Dieppe Raid". Veterans Affairs Canada, the Canadian War Museum, the Juno Beach Museum all refer to it as the Dieppe Raid.
On the morning of August 19, 1942, the French services of the BBC sent a message to the residents of the area saying that this was a raid and for them not to help the Allies in order to avoid German reprisals.
Combined Operations which was first proposed by Churchill on June 4, 1940, with the purpose of organizing "raiding forces" on the coasts of occupied countries.
I have talked and interviewed at least 50 survivors of the Dieppe Raid and none of them has ever called it a battle.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:53 PM   #5
Temujin

I don't disagree, as I indicated in Post #2 above
Old 07-08-2017, 03:56 PM   #6
Temujin

Thought I would post more information on reading and references on Dieppe, for those who may be interested

Research References (many of the following are available on line):

Canadian Army Headquarters Historical Section Report No. 10 ‘Operation “Jubilee”, The Raid on Dieppe, 19 Aug 42. Information from German War Diaries’

Canadian Military Headquarters Historical Officer Report No. 83 ‘Preliminary Report on Operation “Jubilee” (The Raid on Dieppe), 19 Aug 42’ 19 Sept 1942

Canadian Military Headquarters Historical Officer Report No. 89 ‘The Operation at Dieppe, 19 Aug 42: Personal Stories of Participants.’ 31 Dec 1942

Canadian Military Headquarters Historical Officer Report No. 90 ‘The Operation at Dieppe, 19 Aug 42: Further Personal Stories of Participants.’ 18 Feb 1943

Canadian Military Headquarters Historical Officer Report No. 93 ‘Combined Operations Training, 1st Canadian Corps’ 29 Apr 1943

Canadian Military Headquarters Historical Officer Report No. 98 ‘Article Dealing with the Operation at Dieppe, 19 Aug 42’ 15 Jul 1943

Canadian Military Headquarters Historical Officer Report No. 100 ‘Operation "Jubilee": The Raid on Dieppe, 19 Aug 42 Part I: The Preliminaries of the Operation’ 16 Jul 1943

Canadian Military Headquarters Historical Officer Report No. 101 ‘Operation "Jubilee": The Raid on Dieppe, 19 Aug 42. Part II: The Execution of the Operation. Section 1: General Outline and Flank Attacks.’ 11 Aug 1943

Canadian Military Headquarters Historical Section Report No. 108 ‘Operation "Jubilee": The Raid on Dieppe, 19 Aug 42. Part II: The Execution of the Operation. Section 2: The Attack on the Main Beaches.’ 17 Dec 1943 Amended on 12 Jul 1950

Canadian Military Headquarters Historical Officer Report No. 109 ‘Operation "Jubilee": The Raid on Dieppe, 19 Aug 42. Part III: Some Special Aspects.’ 14 Dec 1943

Canadian Military Headquarters Historical Officer Report No. 116 ‘Operation "Jubilee" the Raid on Dieppe, 19 Aug 42. Additional Information from German Sources’ 10 May 1944

Canadian Military Headquarters Historical Officers Report No. 142 ‘Operation "Jubilee": The Raid on Dieppe, 19 Aug 42. Further New Information.’ 18 Jul 1945

Notes from the Theatres of War No.11 ‘Destruction of a German Battery by No.4 Commando during the Dieppe Raid’, HMSO, 1943

Some of the Books available (their are more), most are available on line thru retailers but the best bet is to go to your local library. If they don't have it, see what other libraries do have it, and request an inter-library loan:

Atkin R (1980) Dieppe 1942: The Jubilee Disaster, Macmillan, London

Fowler W (2003) The Commandos at Dieppe: Rehearsal for D-Day, Harper Collins, London

Loring Villa B (1994) Unauthorised Action: Mountbatten and the Dieppe Raid, Oxford University Press, London

The Dieppe Raid: The Story of the Disastrous 1942 by Robin Neillands

Tragedy at Dieppe: Operation Jubilee, August 19, 1942
Book by Mark Zuehlke

One Day in August: The Untold Story Behind Canada's Tragedy at Dieppe
Novel by David O'Keefe

Greatest Air Battle. Book by Norman Franks

Dieppe revisited. Book by John Campbell

Destined to Survive: A Dieppe Veteran's Story Book

Green Beach
Book by James Leasor

Allies at Dieppe: 4 Commando and the US Rangers
Book by Will Fowler

Dieppe Through the Lens of the German War Photographer
Book by Hugh G. Henry and Jean-Paul Pallud

Dieppe, Dieppe
Book by Brereton Greenhous

Dieppe: Shadowy Verdict: A Comparative Examination of the Dieppe Raid
Book by Barry Daniels

Dress Rehearsal: The Story of Dieppe
Book by Quentin Reynolds

We Landed at Dawn: The Story of the Dieppe Raid
Book by A. B. Austin

Rendezvous at Dieppe
Book by Ernest Langford

Disaster at Dieppe: The Biggest Catastrophe in Canadian Military History
Book by Jim Lotz

Rangers at Dieppe: The First Combat Action of U.S. Army Rangers in World War II
Book by Jim DeFelice

The Dieppe Raid: 2nd Canadian Division
Book by Tim Saunders

Last edited by Temujin : 07-08-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:53 PM   #7
RonCor

Default Dieppe Raid

Thank you for the additional information.
I have no problems with the Mint striking a coin to honour the men who fought and died during Operation Jubilee on August 19,1942.
I however do have a problem with the Mint calling it something other than a raid. It show historical ignorance.
Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM   #8
RonCor

Default New Dieppe Raid coin to be minted

The Royal Canadian Mint has decided to mint a new $ 20 fine silver coin to commemorate the Dieppe Raid of August 19, 1942. I learned the news yesterday.
The new coin will bear the correct inscription "Dieppe Raid" and will be released before August 19, 2018.
The Mint has promised to consult with the Dieppe Military Veterans' Association on the design and name.
The DMVA led the fight to have Operation Jubilee correctly remembered.