Old 06-21-2017, 09:59 PM   #1
Spuds

Default 48th Highlanders breakthrough Hitler Line May 1944

Our family donated a Nazi flag captured by the 48th Highlanders which our uncle sent home shortly after the battle to our grandparents. The flag remained in our family until earlier this year when we donated it to the 48th Highlander's museum in Toronto.
My uncle recorded the names of Highlanders who fought in this battle by platoon. I wanted to post a photo of this flag on this forum unfortunately the file size is too big, however if there is any interest, I will see what I can do to reduce the file size of the photo so that others can view and I am hoping that someone may recognize some of the names on the flag and advise what has happened to those men. My uncle, Allan W Oliver was killed in action December 17, 1944.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:35 PM   #2
BFBSM
Super Moderator

Default Welcom

Spuds,

Welcome to the forum.

I would be interested in seeing an image of the flag, and if you do post. May I suggest you include a list of the names on the flag, as someone doing an internet search for a relative may find the post.

Mark
BFBSM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:07 PM   #3
Seroster
Chris Camfield

I too would like to see the photo!

I visited the 48th Highlanders' museum here in Toronto during the winter and picked up their DVD telling the tale of the regiment in WW2.

A lot of the unit histories of Canadian units have been digitized. The 48th's included, I presume... I might take a look for it and for info on December 17 1944.

edit: it seems those haven't been digitized yet. :(

Last edited by Seroster : 07-06-2017 at 10:07 PM.
Seroster is offline   Reply With Quote