Old 05-21-2017, 09:51 AM   #1
Jock_M163

Default Piper H.Hamilton_ Help Please

My Brother has rebuilt a set of Lawrie bagpipes, possibly very early 1900ís or even earlier. The pipes are housed in a wooden case and have the following hand carved info on it.
Piper. T5 H. Hamilton.
B87916.
I believe this to be a WW2 Canadian Servicemanís number. We would like to put some history to this information on the case. Regiment, dates of service or any information at all that would shine some light as to Piper Hamilton. I have tried the Canada Library and Archives, VAC but nothing has turned up.
Thank you. John (Jock) Mellon. Long Island ,NY
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hamilton.jpg (107.1 KB, 2 views)
Jock_M163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 11:35 AM   #2
Temujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock_M163 View Post
My Brother has rebuilt a set of Lawrie bagpipes, possibly very early 1900ís or even earlier. The pipes are housed in a wooden case and have the following hand carved info on it.
Piper. T5 H. Hamilton.
B87916.
I believe this to be a WW2 Canadian Servicemanís number. We would like to put some history to this information on the case. Regiment, dates of service or any information at all that would shine some light as to Piper Hamilton. I have tried the Canada Library and Archives, VAC but nothing has turned up.
Try this link, it may lead you to other clues

http://pipesforfreedom.com/index.htm
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:50 PM   #3
Temujin

Quote:
My Brother has rebuilt a set of Lawrie bagpipes, possibly very early 1900’s or even earlier. The pipes are housed in a wooden case and have the following hand carved info on it.
Piper. T5 H. Hamilton.
B87916.
I believe this to be a WW2 Canadian Serviceman’s number. We would like to put some history to this information on the case. Regiment, dates of service or any information at all that would shine some light as to Piper Hamilton. I have tried the Canada Library and Archives, VAC but nothing has turned up.

After looking at your post again, and the photo, I DO NOT believe this is a Canadian. My clues are:

1. If LAC says' their is no one by that service number in their files, then he didn't serve in the Canadian Military

2. T5 is probably Tech 5 (Corporal) in the US Army. The Canadian Army did not use these types of Ranks. So no Canadian Piper would use T5 as a rank.

3. I'm not sure the first "letter/number" is a LETTER, I think it's another 8, but I can't be positive on that.

That's my thoughts, I'll see if I can find any other info

US Military Pipe Bands

http://www.militarybagpiper.org/military_pipe_bands
Old 05-22-2017, 04:44 PM   #4
Jock_M163

Default Piper H.Hamilton- Help please

Thank you so much for the info, I have lots of avenues to persue, I have attached a smaller clip of the Service number. when zoomed in the Letter/Number has a straight line on the left edge, that is why I took it to be "B". I will try all numbers and leter numbers in future searches.
Thanks again,Temujin
Jock_M
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Piper HamiltonServ Number.jpg (126.5 KB, 4 views)
Jock_M163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:06 PM   #5
Temujin

Quote:
Thank you so much for the info, I have lots of avenues to persue, I have attached a smaller clip of the Service number. when zoomed in the Letter/Number has a straight line on the left edge, that is why I took it to be "B". I will try all numbers and leter numbers in future searches.
Thanks again,Temujin
Jock_M
Jock, you are right, closer it does look like a B......I'm away right now, but when I have a chance, I'll check my Canadian Service Numbers book and see if I can tell you what unit this Reg Number was originally assigned to....

I did try to see if any Canadian FSSF members were Pipers, then it would be quite possible for a Canadian, with a Canadian Regimental Number to have "American ranks".......as Canadian Members of the FSSF did us Canadian Ranks....just an off chance this may be it.

Cheers
Old 05-22-2017, 09:49 PM   #6
kez

That number is No.2 District Depot, RCASC. 2 DD was Toronto I believe, so he was a general RCASC recruit there.

That's just who he enlisted with, could easily have been posted away at some point.