Old 08-18-2017, 02:04 PM   #21
substatica

I have another Service Book decryption question. A veteran related to me that this line indicated that Charles Tucker was docked $1.40 of his pay for reasons unknown but I can't make out the first word on this line,

Pete? Pate? Rate? of Pay $1.40

Curious to know what that first word is, any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: png Pay Dock 1.40.png (68.9 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by substatica : 08-18-2017 at 02:51 PM.
substatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:43 PM   #22
kez

Think it's 'Rate' and indicates he got a raise. Believe that's the trained soldier rate, no bump for a specialized trade.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:17 PM   #23
substatica

Quote:
Originally Posted by kez View Post
Think it's 'Rate' and indicates he got a raise. Believe that's the trained soldier rate, no bump for a specialized trade.
Okay, so the fellow who read it as the soldier was docked $1.40 for some infraction was mistaken.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:07 PM   #24
Temujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by substatica View Post
Okay, so the fellow who read it as the soldier was docked $1.40 for some infraction was mistaken.
I agree with Kez, it is "Rate" of pay, if it had been a deduction, it would have had something in the record saying he was punished for something (usually away without authority) and would have said "forfeit" pay, and how much (eg "forfeit 60 days pay")

Hopefully it wasn't "me" that told you that??? (I have been wrong before)
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:31 PM   #25
substatica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
I agree with Kez, it is "Rate" of pay, if it had been a deduction, it would have had something in the record saying he was punished for something (usually away without authority) and would have said "forfeit" pay, and how much (eg "forfeit 60 days pay")

Hopefully it wasn't "me" that told you that??? (I have been wrong before)
No, it wasn't you. It was a veteran I spoke with in person, however, given the writing size, legibility and the brevity of his inspection the mistake is understandable.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:06 AM   #26
Temujin

Here's the Rates of Pay, for the Canadian Army during the war, you can see a Private in 1944 recieve $1.30 a day, and after 4 months, it went up to $1.40. This was for "general service", you you qualified for a trade, you would get trade's pay on top of that etc etc

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discove...on-Package.pdf

Last edited by Temujin : 08-19-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:31 AM   #27
substatica

I have received Charles Edward Tucker's WW2 service record. In brief, he joined the 48th Highlander 2nd Reserve Battalion, A Company in 1942 in Canada which entailed one night per week, some Sundays and a 2-week camp.

In 1943 he went into active duty training which resulted in him joining the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps. He joined the No. 22 Canadian Field Ambulance unit, went overseas and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June of 1944. The No. 22 Canadian Field Ambulance was assigned to the 8th Infantry Brigade of the 3rd Canadian Division and landed at Juno beach.

He injured his knee early in 1944 playing baseball and then again jumping into a trench for cover in late June of 1944 resulting in his evacuation from Normandy. After returning to Canada he injured his knee yet again unloading potatoes. This chain of injuries resulted in a rather comical statement that could sum up his injuries during wartime as baseball, combat, potatoes.

I'm currently pursuing the war diaries for No. 22 Canadian Field Ambulance for 1944. Thanks everyone for helping in this research endeavor.

Last edited by substatica : 08-30-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:39 AM   #28
Temujin

Quote:
I have received Charles Edward Tucker's WW2 service record. In brief, he joined the 48th Highlander 2nd Reserve Battalion, A Company in 1942 in Canada which entailed one night per week, some Sundays and a 2-week camp.

In 1943 he went into active duty training which resulted in him joining the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps. He joined the No. 2 Canadian Field Ambulance unit, went overseas and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June of 1944. The No. 2 Canadian Field Ambulance was assigned to the 8th Infantry Battalion of the 3rd Canadian Division and landed at Juno beach.

He injured his knee early in 1944 playing baseball and then again jumping into a trench for cover in late June of 1944 resulting in his evacuation from Normandy. After returning to Canada he injured his knee yet again unloading potatoes. This chain of injuries resulted in a rather comical statement that could sum up his injuries during wartime as baseball, combat, potatoes.

I'm currently pursuing the war diaries for No. 2 Canadian Field Ambulance for 1944. Thanks everyone for helping in this research endeavor.
Did you make a typo, did you mean the No 22 Canadian Field Ambulance?

As far as I'm aware these are the units assigned to support each of the Canadian Infantry Brigades that landed on D Day:

No. 14 Canadian Field Ambulance worked with 7th Canadian Infantry Brigade, No. 22 with 8th Brigade, and No. 23 treated 9th Brigade’s casualties. Assault sections of these three Field Ambulance units landed with the infantry on D-Day.

https://www.junobeach.org/canada-in-...-organization/
Old 08-30-2017, 11:51 AM   #29
substatica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
Did you make a typo, did you mean the No 22 Canadian Field Ambulance?
Yes, typo, 22 rather than 2 and Brigade rather than Battalion, sorry. Corrected.

Last edited by substatica : 08-30-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:06 PM   #30
Temujin

Quote:
Yes, typo, 22 rather than 2 and Brigade rather than Battalion, sorry. Corrected.
No problem, just wanted to make sure you were looking for the right War Diaires.

No 22 Cdn Field Ambulance War Diaires at LAC:

http://collectionscanada.gc.ca/pam_a...792800,4796121