Old 08-12-2017, 09:52 PM   #1
goguengrandkid
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 3
Default Looking for info on my grandfather's regiment and division

I am looking for info on my grandfather's regiment which is G50160 and his division was 16th light field ambulance, this is what we just got from archives Canada. We know he went to England, France, Italy, Netherlands and possibly Germany...the info on the records we receive is very vague, and I would love to find out exactly where he was if I can... We know he drove a jeep for some commanding officers at some point and he drove a big truck through some mountains somewhere in Italy at night, no lights.

Also do you know if when we receive the papers from the archives, and it says his regiment/division..and there is only one, does that mean he stayed with the same one, all throughout the war? He was there from the beginning, volunteered and came back when the war was over...Any help would be greatly appreciated, his name was Emery Goguen from Bouctouche, New Brunswick, and we miss him dearly
goguengrandkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:24 PM   #2
BFBSM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 243
Default

The 16th Light Field Ambulance arrived in Britain as a part of the 4th Armoured Division in the early autumn of 1943. A quick read of the history of the Canadian Medical Service at http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/UN/C...CMS_vol1_e.pdf may give you more information.

Also, your Grandfather's Regiment, which will be confirmed when you receive his papers, would probably be the Royal Canadian Medical Corps (it could also be the Royal Canadian Army Service Corps, but I doubt this). G50160 would be his service number, the prefix G showing he enlisted in New Brunswick. http://www.canadaatwar.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=3172

Other members will join the conversation who will provide more detailed information, and or provide you with potential sources for research.

Mark

Last edited by BFBSM : 08-12-2017 at 10:41 PM.
BFBSM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:45 PM   #3
BFBSM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 243
Default Some Light Reading

You can look at the following documents to find where the 4th Canadian Armoured Division went:

http://epe.lac-bac.gc.ca/100/200/301...w2/D2-501E.pdf

http://epe.lac-bac.gc.ca/100/200/301...w2/D2-502E.pdf

http://epe.lac-bac.gc.ca/100/200/301...w2/D2-503E.pdf

Mark
BFBSM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:25 AM   #4
Temujin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,995
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goguengrandkid View Post
I am looking for info on my grandfather's regiment which is G50160 and his division was 16th light field ambulance, this is what we just got from archives Canada. We know he went to England, France, Italy, Netherlands and possibly Germany...the info on the records we receive is very vague, and I would love to find out exactly where he was if I can... We know he drove a jeep for some commanding officers at some point and he drove a big truck through some mountains somewhere in Italy at night, no lights.

Also do you know if when we receive the papers from the archives, and it says his regiment/division..and there is only one, does that mean he stayed with the same one, all throughout the war? He was there from the beginning, volunteered and came back when the war was over...Any help would be greatly appreciated, his name was Emery Goguen from Bouctouche, New Brunswick, and we miss him dearly
As Mark indicated, getting his military records are the first priority. This will tell you which units he was assigned with.

It may take a while, up to 6 to 8 months to get his records, but its the only way to confirm his units.

Having read what you posted, and Marks answer's, he 'may" have been in the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps or the Royal Canadian Army Service Corps....The 16th Light Field Ambulance was part of the 4th Cdn Armoured Division. This division fought in NW Europe only.

You mention that he drove a truck in Italy.......this tells me that he "may" have been with the RCASC??? His records willl tell.

And to answer you question, their is no way to tell if he was with the same unit all through the war UNTIL you get his military records (these will tell us)......BUT if he served in Italy AND in NW Europe (with the 4th Armoured Div).....this tells me he was NOT in the same unit all through the war....my best guess.

I'll look to see if I can find anything else on him for you for now

Cheers
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:27 AM   #5
Temujin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,995
Default

Info from the Royal Canadian Legion:

Corporal Emery GOGUEN
Date Deceased: March 10th, 1986
Service Information

Rank: Corporal
Period of Service: World War II
Service Numbers: G50160
Legion Branch Information

Legion Branch: Bouctouche/Buctouche Branch, Bouctouche, New Brunswick, Canada

https://legionmagazine.com/en/last-p...ntry&id=286776
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:13 AM   #6
Temujin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,995
Default

Found this article, but it may not be him (but it may be him and his brother??). Ottawa Journel, 1942. Le Regiment de Hull


Last edited by Temujin : 08-13-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:04 PM   #7
goguengrandkid
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 3
Default Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFBSM View Post
The 16th Light Field Ambulance arrived in Britain as a part of the 4th Armoured Division in the early autumn of 1943. A quick read of the history of the Canadian Medical Service at http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/UN/C...CMS_vol1_e.pdf may give you more information.

Also, your Grandfather's Regiment, which will be confirmed when you receive his papers, would probably be the Royal Canadian Medical Corps (it could also be the Royal Canadian Army Service Corps, but I doubt this). G50160 would be his service number, the prefix G showing he enlisted in New Brunswick. http://www.canadaatwar.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=3172

Other members will join the conversation who will provide more detailed information, and or provide you with potential sources for research.

Mark
Thank you so much for the info Mark, I lost my grandfather at 10 years old so I never got to ask him questions about the war and I'm just getting what my mother told me so I'm just trying to fill in the gaps :) I will be getting the documents from the Archives this week from my mother so that should help me/us too.
goguengrandkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:07 PM   #8
goguengrandkid
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
Info from the Royal Canadian Legion:

Corporal Emery GOGUEN
Date Deceased: March 10th, 1986
Service Information

Rank: Corporal
Period of Service: World War II
Service Numbers: G50160
Legion Branch Information

Legion Branch: Bouctouche/Buctouche Branch, Bouctouche, New Brunswick, Canada

https://legionmagazine.com/en/last-p...ntry&id=286776
Yes that is him..thank you so much for finding this and the other info, I was not sure what is rank was, I will be getting the documents soon and I will be looking for a photo of him in uniform to see if that helps as well...

As far as the newspaper article, that could very well be him. He never mentionned training in Quebec but you never know.. he did not have a brother with him, he was the youngest of the family and the other brothers he had I believe would have been too old to participate..
goguengrandkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:22 AM   #9
Temujin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,995
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goguengrandkid View Post
Yes that is him..thank you so much for finding this and the other info, I was not sure what is rank was, I will be getting the documents soon and I will be looking for a photo of him in uniform to see if that helps as well...

As far as the newspaper article, that could very well be him. He never mentionned training in Quebec but you never know.. he did not have a brother with him, he was the youngest of the family and the other brothers he had I believe would have been too old to participate..
Oh, maybe I have the wrong family, the info I found shows a older brother:

Leonide Goguen
BIRTH 29 JANUARY 1910 • Buctouche, Kent County, New Brunswick, Canada

Was their father was Phillips Goguen and mother was Théodora (Nora) Bastarache

But the article may not be them, just a possibility
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.