Old 08-07-2017, 09:22 PM   #1
substatica

Default Charles Edward Tucker, Reg. No. B-116198

Hi,

I'm doing research on my Grandfather's service time and have his Service Book (and Pay Books) and am trying to make sense of them. The miscellaneous entries pages seem to have the most information.

The information that I have is that he was a Stretcher Bearer, was at Juno during the invasion of Normandy and was injured when an ambulance took fire of some sort (unknown at what battle that occurred). Perhaps someone can help me understand these entries.

Pte. Charles Edward Tucker
Regtl. No: B-116198

The notable entries seem to be,

Disembarked France: June 6th, 1944
SOS to X3 (????) - RCAMC: June 30th, 1944
TOS X3 (????) - RCAMC: July 1st, 1944

From what I understand X-3 means he was injured and evacuated. Though I can't make out the word after X3, "line" perhaps? Then there's no entries until April, 1945.

Also there's a number of leaves marked as P.L. & F.T.W., I've found that P.L. is privilege leave but haven't found any meaning for F.T.W..

I've attached the 4 relevant pages, any insight would be appreciated. Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pages 16 - 17 Thumb.jpg (338.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Pages 18 - 19 Thumb.jpg (343.1 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by substatica : 08-15-2017 at 03:34 PM.
substatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:53 PM   #2
BFBSM
Super Moderator

Hi, welcome to the forum.

If you look at the last entry on the first image you will see:

'Privilege leave and free transport warrant.'

so FTW would be "Free Transport Warrant".

Mark
BFBSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:56 PM   #3
substatica

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFBSM View Post
Hi, welcome to the forum.
If you look at the last entry on the first image you will see:

'Privilege leave and free transport warrant.'

so FTW would be "Free Transport Warrant".
Thanks! I missed that, couldn't find FTW on any of the WW2 service book acronym dictionaries online.

I was also having trouble resolving some items on page 18, including his awards. A couple of questions:

What does "Wasserman taken" mean? Would that be the Wassermann test for syphilis?

Regarding the third entry on page 18 I can't tell if it reads "AWARDED C.V.S.M PSTAR" or "C.V.S.M + STAR," if the latter would that be the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal? If so, what does the added "STAR" refer to?

If someone with more experience has an alternate reading of this Service Book -- or a section I should be looking at for unit assignment clues. I'd be very interested to hear it, I don't have much experience in this realm just yet. Cheers.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:02 AM   #4
Temujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by substatica View Post
Hi,

I'm doing research on my Grandfather's service time and have his Service Book (and Pay Books) and am trying to make sense of them. The miscellaneous entries pages seem to have the most information.

The information that I have is that he was a Stretcher Bearer, was at Juno during the invasion of Normandy and was injured when an ambulance took fire of some sort (unknown at what battle that occurred). Perhaps someone can help me understand these entries.

Pte. Charles Edward Tucker
Regtl. No: B-116198

The notable entries seem to be,

Disembarked France: June 6th, 1944
SOS to X3 (????) - RCAMC: June 30th, 1944
TOS X3 (????) - RCAMC: July 1st, 1944

From what I understand X-3 means he was injured and evacuated. Though I can't make out the word after X3, "line" perhaps? Then there's no entries until April, 1945.

Also there's a number of leaves marked as P.L. & F.T.W., I've found that P.L. is privilege leave but haven't found any meaning for F.T.W..

I've attached the 4 relevant pages, any insight would be appreciated. Cheers.
The Pay Books were carried by each man, are not a "complete record" of his military records. My suggestion is to order his Complete military records from LAC in Ottawa.

These would tell you more info, the unit he was with etc etc.

You can look on this site (under WW2) and their is a thread that tells you how to order his military records.

I'll look at the other questions and give you the answers shortly
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:20 AM   #5
substatica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
The Pay Books were carried by each man, are not a "complete record" of his military records. My suggestion is to order his Complete military records from LAC in Ottawa.

These would tell you more info, the unit he was with etc etc.

I'll look at the other questions and give you the answers shortly
Thanks, yes I'll be mailing out that request today. Having never gone through that process before I'm not sure how complete that record will be or what the turnaround time is so I'm continuing research in parallel.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:29 AM   #6
Temujin

Quote:
Thanks, yes I'll be mailing out that request today. Having never gone through that process before I'm not sure how complete that record will be or what the turnaround time is so I'm continuing research in parallel.
It does take a while, sometimes over 6 to 8 months, but your taking the right steps to order them now and carry on with the research.

Do you have any other information that can help us with the search? Date of birth, his unit (if you know it) etc etc. Anything that you can share (where he was born, his schooling etc) can help us find info on him to pass along to you.

Cheers
Old 08-08-2017, 12:01 PM   #7
substatica

Quote:
It does take a while, sometimes over 6 to 8 months, but your taking the right steps to order them now and carry on with the research.

Do you have any other information that can help us with the search? Date of birth, his unit (if you know it) etc etc. Anything that you can share (where he was born, his schooling etc) can help us find info on him to pass along to you.

Cheers
I was hoping to learn as much as I can before a trip to Europe this fall. He listed previous military in his Service Book as 48th Highlanders: Sep., 1942 - Sep., 1943. He was born and enlisted in Toronto, Ontario. He was schooled as a mechanic, listed "aircraft worker" on his attestation -- but I believe that was a war time occupation.

His training for WW2 was RCAMC and the felt insignia patch with his books is a single burgundy/wine-coloured stripe on a light blue background -- which indicates 3rd Canadian Division RCAMC. Could he have been RCAMC assigned to the 48th Highlanders?

Charles Edward Tucker
b. Jan. 16, 1925 d. 1985
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pages 02 - 03 Thumb.jpg (351.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 08-08-2017, 12:25 PM   #8
Temujin

Quote:
I was hoping to learn as much as I can before a trip to Europe this fall. He listed previous military in his Service Book as 48th Highlanders: Sep., 1942 - Sep., 1943. He was born and enlisted in Toronto, Ontario. He was schooled as a mechanic, listed "aircraft worker" on his attestation -- but I believe that was a war time occupation.

His training for WW2 was RCAMC and the felt insignia patch with his books is a single burgundy/wine-coloured stripe on a light blue background -- which indicates 3rd Canadian Division RCAMC. Could he have been RCAMC assigned to the 48th Highlanders?

Charles Edward Tucker
b. Jan. 16, 1925 d. 1985
Thank you. Yes his Pay Book shows his previous service in the 48th Highlanders. This doesn't mean he was in the RCAMC while serving in the 48th though. His records should straight out when he served and with who for you.

So if he had the 3rd Div RCAMC patch, like below (sorry, colour is off a bit) then he was probably with one of the following units:

Last edited by Temujin : 08-08-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:35 PM   #9
substatica

Quote:
Thank you. Yes his Pay Book shows his previous service in the 48th Highlanders. This doesn't mean he was in the RCAMC while serving in the 48th though. His records should straight out when he served and with who for you.

So if he had the 3rd Div RCAMAC patch, like below (sorry, colour is off a bit) then he was probably with one of the following units:
I did find that unit listing, good to get some validation on that as I'm unsure of the organizational structures relating to WW2. Since I have been told he was a stretcher bearer and was injured when an ambulance was hit I'm guessing he was with one of the ambulance units.

Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps, 3rd Canadian Division

- No. 14 Field Ambulance, RCAMC
- No. 22 Field Ambulance, RCAMC
- No. 23 Field Ambulance, RCAMC
- 3rd Division Field Hygiene Section, RCAMC
- Two Field Dressing Stations
Old 08-08-2017, 12:54 PM   #10
Temujin

Quote:
I did find that unit listing, good to get some validation on that as I'm unsure of the organizational structures relating to WW2. Since I have been told he was a stretcher bearer and was injured when an ambulance was hit I'm guessing he was with one of the ambulance units.

Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps, 3rd Canadian Division

- No. 14 Field Ambulance, RCAMC
- No. 22 Field Ambulance, RCAMC
- No. 23 Field Ambulance, RCAMC
- 3rd Division Field Hygiene Section, RCAMC
- Two Field Dressing Stations
Of course another avenue of research is the War Dairies for these units. These are available at LAC in Ottawa. If you research them, you need only search the pages for June/July 1944, as that's when he was possibly wounded?? His military records will tell you exactly which unit he was with at the time, so you may wish to wait to get that info before starting to research war diaries.

I'll check to see if I have any info in my files on those units, but unfortunately I'm out of Canada right now and all my files are at home, so it will be a while before I can take a look to see what I have.

Cheers