Old 12-07-2017, 01:46 PM   #1
janmac52
Jan Mac

Default Regiment to Regiment Transfer/Reserves

This is a bit of a long tale so please bear with me. I am trying to trace the movements of my 3 uncles during World War 2 in order to verify a family story.

At the beginning of the war, my father's eldest brother enlisted in the Hastings & Prince Edward Regiment and was sent with them to Sicily and Italy in 1943 with the 1st Canadian Division.

My father and one other brother enlisted in the The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada and were together in this regiment in Jamaica before this unit was sent to England. The last brother enlisted later but I do not know in which unit he enlisted while in Canada. My father was injured while training in England and was sent back to Canada.

I am assuming that my 2 remaining uncles may have still been with the Argyll and Sutherland but I do not know this for sure. But if they were, they would not have been in Italy in December of 1944 when their elder brother was killed but the family story goes that my 2 uncles found their brother on the side of the road after a battle in Italy.

So, my question finally is this: How likely is it that by either chance, need (reserves), or personal request, the two of them as brothers could have ended up in Italy by being transferred either to the Hasty P's or another regiment in action in that part of Italy in December 1944?

Most puzzling to me--but perhaps it is no mystery at all--is how the last/youngest brother who enlisted later and was most likely in the 2nd Division, could have transferred out of a 2nd Division unit into a 1st and been in Italy?

Thanks in advance for any help. It is greatly appreciated.
janmac52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:04 PM   #2
kez

I'd say possible, but very unlikely.

Requesting a transfer to another unit was possible, but I think limited. I've only ever seen it within the same Division when they were all the the same general area. A direct transfer between theaters (UK/NW Europe to Italy) seems unlikely.

Could happen by chance if a man left his unit and went into the general reinforcement pool and then was posted to another theater with a large group of other reinforcements, but for it to happen to both brothers is unlikely. This would also presume that the Argyles didn't try to get them back in this scenario. Since they appear to have been long time Argyles, they would have wanted them back if they were efficient soldiers and there would be an Army bias to send men back to their original unit.

The way to find out for sure is to get their records and see their actual movements.

http://www.canadaatwar.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=2887
Old 12-07-2017, 04:56 PM   #3
Temujin

Janmac......I agree with Kez, but the best way to finalize this is order their military records as Kez recommended.....

My own experience was:

I had two uncles who both joined the Army during the war, and although they started in different regiments, they ended up together in NW Europe.

The first uncle (who joined first) was with the Calgary Highlanders.

My second uncle originally joined the Regina Rifles, and went to England as part of the Reinforcement pool (CIRU) and landed in France (in July) as part of the CIRU.

He recently told me (at a family reunion this summer, he is 94 years young) that he was in the Reinforcement Unit, and he saw a “slot” open up in the Calgary Highlanders so he thought he’d tried to join his brother, so he requested the position and he was sent to the Calgary Highlanders.

I asked him if he enjoyed serving with his older brother.......and he told me “he never saw him”. The older brother was a very good hockey player, so he was alway playing hockey with the Division hockey team.....so they never really saw each other.

The younger uncle served with the Regiment thru to the war end and was wounded twice (minor wounds) and the BOTH brothers were assigned to the North Shore Regiment (at the end of the war) to be part of the CAOF (Canadian Army Occupation Force) and both returned to Canada in 1946.

Anyway, I ramble......go with Kez’s suggestion and order their records and then you can confirm everything (their records will tell you which units they were with throughout the war)

Cheers

Last edited by Temujin : 12-07-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:17 PM   #4
janmac52
Jan Mac

Thanks for your input, Temujin and kez.

I will give try to get their service records but I have heard it is a bit of a rigamarole to get records of WWII vets who survived even if you are an immediate relative which I am not but I will give it a shot.

Thanks again.
janmac52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:29 PM   #5
kez

If you can prove they are deceased for over 20 years, it's straight forward to get a file. I think less than 20 is possible but you won't get as much info. Tricky if you don't have proof of death. It's possible, but involves a Freedom of Information request that they don't tend to be helpful with.

I have used a researcher in Ottawa who is former LAC staff and knows the ropes. He charged about $30 a file the last time I used him and he is relatively quick. It can take months if you do it yourself. In any case, personal details will be blacked out but you should get full info on units/dates etc.

PM me if you would like contact info.