Old 04-09-2016, 01:05 AM   #1
johnfarrow

Default 65th Tank Transport Company

My father was in the 65th Tank Transport Company of the Royal Canadian Army Service Corps in WWII according to his military records that I received from Ottawa. I believe he was stationed in Holland, but I have no idea where the unit was. I am traveling there and hope to visit places he may have been. Any ideas about how I could find out more information about the unit?
johnfarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 01:39 AM   #2
Temujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfarrow View Post
My father was in the 65th Tank Transport Company of the Royal Canadian Army Service Corps in WWII according to his military records that I received from Ottawa. I believe he was stationed in Holland, but I have no idea where the unit was. I am traveling there and hope to visit places he may have been. Any ideas about how I could find out more information about the unit?
Here's a book that you may be able to find. I'd try your local library, and if they don't have it, maybe they can get it on an inter-library loan

Diary of 65 Canadian Tank Transporter Company, Royal Canadian Army Service Corps. -- Editorial research and composition by Norman Lafrance. -- [Orillia, Ont.] : M.R. Allen for 65th Association, 1983. -- iv, 199 p.
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:10 AM   #3
johnfarrow

Smile Awesome

Thanks I will check it out.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:53 AM   #4
Temujin

John, the IWM site says that the original is held at the Canadian War Museum

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/it...ication/117668
Old 04-09-2016, 11:04 AM   #5
Temujin

Here's a post by a veteran, and he give's a little more info on where the 65th was located:

http://www.richmondlegion.ca/PDF/Bios/GEDDES.pdf

Another suggestion is the Unit's War Dairies, these would be held at LAC in Ottawa. These would tell you the location of the unit for everyday of the war.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:15 AM   #6
Temujin

Here's a small bit of info:

Improvisation overcame difficulties as they arose, for instance in carrying ammunition. The 65th Tank Transporter Company had 100 large, 40-ton Diamond-T tractor-trailers whose primary function was to move tanks in order to save wear on their treads. Someone got the idea to rig racks on their trailers to carry supplies, especially heavy, low centre of gravity loads like ammunition. The trailer could take twenty tons, and by off-loading the ballast, the prime mover could carry another ten tons. One company alone could carry 2700 tons of ammunition, the equivalent load of 10 transport companies.

Found in this link, which downloads automatically

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-...beration_e.pdf

Last edited by Temujin : 04-09-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:55 PM   #7
johnfarrow

Default Thanks

I called the War Museum and left a message about going to see the diary - my local library says about 4-6 weeks for interlibrary loan, which is past the time I'm going. I'll also call ALC Monday and compare which is easier to work with. I noticed there's another copy at the Imperial War Museum but I'm not up for quite that long a road trip

I'll check those links too - thanks a lot for your help.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:32 PM   #8
Temujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfarrow View Post
I called the War Museum and left a message about going to see the diary - my local library says about 4-6 weeks for interlibrary loan, which is past the time I'm going. I'll also call ALC Monday and compare which is easier to work with. I noticed there's another copy at the Imperial War Museum but I'm not up for quite that long a road trip

I'll check those links too - thanks a lot for your help.
Your welcome, and good luck on your reseach and trip
Old 04-09-2016, 08:48 PM   #9
Temujin

Just for you info, this is the vehicle and organization of a Tank Transporter Company in 1942

Go to this link, and click on the "Tank Transporter Coy 1942" diagram (near the bottom of this page)

http://www.armouredacorn.com/#!canadian-orbats/c11jd

No 65 Tank Transporter Company was part of General HQ's, Line of Communication and Base Troops.

http://rcasc.com/world_war_ii_1939-1...y_headquarters

And on this chart, it shows your the "vehicle tactical sign" that identifies various units. This sign would be on all vehicles of that unit. 65 Tank Transporter Company, RCASC had the number 866. Vehicle sign is about 1/2 was down on this chart in the link:

http://home.cogeco.ca/~gdavidson1/1Army.html

Last edited by Temujin : 04-09-2016 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:46 AM   #10
Pop Alexandra

Any update?
What info were you able to gather?