Old 02-11-2018, 01:46 AM   #1
David T.

Default 15th Battery rides again

Hey, I’m pretty sure my grandfather is in this photo and I’m still looking for some who thinks their relative from the 15th Battery CFA was on that old chain driven truck also.
David T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:54 AM   #2
Temujin

David, to be honest with you, I “doubt” that any of the soldiers in this photo were from Artillery units.

The reason why, Artillery units moved “with their Artillery”......meaning that when they moved, they travelled with their guns, equipment, ammo etc etc. They moved as a unit. In this photo, of course we can’t see any guns, or anything that would indicate that these are “gunners”.

So, unless your “positive” the photo is of you grandfather, I’m not sure if any of these men would be gunners.

And, finding someone that knows their relative is in this photo may be very very difficult.

But, maybe one of our other members can give an opinion or answer on this.

And of course, it’s my opinion and I could be wrong
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:35 PM   #3
David T.

Temujin, your input is really appreciated! There is ample evidence documented in the war diaries of the 6th Brigade CFA that there was a lot of movement of gunners around the Vimy Ridge area without the guns being moved.

May 16th, 1917,—half of the guns of some Batteries were being manned by personnel of other Batteries.
May 20th, 1917 —“The opportunity of resting by personnell of Bttys while in these rear positions, is being taken advantage of. As few officers and men as possible are being kept at the guns.”.

Gunners were used to marching but just maybe someone arranged for small groups to be trucked into town for a little French hospitality.

Anyway, the only proof I have is comparing known photos of my grandfather to the subject photo. His daughter to this day says “ I believe that’s my Dad on the right”. Others see that strong family resemblance. I think it’s him. And, I am using this forum in the hope of finding someone who could corroborate that these are guys from his unit.

Looking forward to further discussion. Thanking everyone, David
David T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:00 PM   #4
Temujin

David, of course your right, those are all possibilities. And only you and your family would know if he is in those photo’s

Good luck on your search
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote