Old 11-06-2017, 01:18 PM   #1
giuseppeinsa

Default paratrooper Helmet

Hi, and sorry for my poor english, i'm an old user of this forum, and live in Sicily...near Centuripe, were the canadian force fought very ard during Husky operation, some time (my hobby are the ww2 istory in Sicily) i recover some canadian items on hold house or in the field with my metaldetector, and wen i have some doubts I distourb you ...
This helmet was recovered in a flea Market a lot of years ago in Libia, and now the old collector decide to donate this at the museum of the city....
They told me that this helmet was Canadian from "the cameroon ighlanders".
Do you concord with this hypothesis....?
Many thank's
Giuseppe

giuseppeinsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:40 PM   #2
Temujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppeinsa View Post
Hi, and sorry for my poor english, i'm an old user of this forum, and live in Sicily...near Centuripe, were the canadian force fought very ard during Husky operation, some time (my hobby are the ww2 istory in Sicily) i recover some canadian items on hold house or in the field with my metaldetector, and wen i have some doubts I distourb you ...
This helmet was recovered in a flea Market a lot of years ago in Libia, and now the old collector decide to donate this at the museum of the city....
They told me that this helmet was Canadian from "the cameroon ighlanders".
Do you concord with this hypothesis....?
Many thank's
Giuseppe

Do you have photos? As do they have documentation to proof this.

My first comment, is NO, this is not correct. The Queens Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada were NOT “parachute infantry” and they DID NOT serve in Sicily or Italy.....and the only “Canadian’s” that were parachute trained in Italy were the Canadian Members of the First Special Service Force (a joint American/Canadian unit)

Also, their were two units of similar name, the Queens Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada AND the Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa........neither of these units served in Sicily or Italy

Last edited by Temujin : 11-06-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:50 PM   #3
giuseppeinsa

exactly....your hipothesis are correct, my doubt are on the insigna on his side...now i are more convinced that this helmet are a british paratrooper used in north africa, and dont have anything of Canadian....now i just have to identify the rhombus insigna on the side.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:07 PM   #4
Temujin

Quote:
exactly....your hipothesis are correct, my doubt are on the insigna on his side...now i are more convinced that this helmet are a british paratrooper used in north africa, and dont have anything of Canadian....now i just have to identify the rhombus insigna on the side.
Can you post a photo??? We can help if we can see the insignia
Old 11-06-2017, 03:51 PM   #5
giuseppeinsa

unfortunately, i'm out for work, for the next 12 days, i'm an olive picker and this is the most important period of the year for me....wen i come bak, promise to post new and more detailed photo, of the helmet and his colour.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:33 PM   #6
Temujin

Quote:
unfortunately, i'm out for work, for the next 12 days, i'm an olive picker and this is the most important period of the year for me....wen i come bak, promise to post new and more detailed photo, of the helmet and his colour.

Thanks Giuseppe. Here’s a link to “how to post photo’s on this site” when your ready to post your photo’s

http://www.canadaatwar.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=6986
Old Today, 03:12 AM   #7
giuseppeinsa

tankyou to help my with post image....i'm arrived at home yesterday, and use an artificial light to make photos, because the telephone with a good camera are propriety of my brother and he go away to my house yesterday night.
The helmet are tipical yellow Africa,i see this colour in more other recovered in Sicily, have two rhombus ,one in each side (in the last two photo you can see it).
Was an MKI model without the rubber belt.
I dont know the colours of the rhombus insigna....i can assume is brown or red (turned in brown with rust)....
many thank's for help
Giuseppe