Old 08-22-2017, 07:52 PM   #1
Kate LeBlanc

Question Info needed

Hi to all
My trip to Europe is on for September19 and my first stop is Amsterdam. I am trying to find a day tour/guide who can get me to Jonkersbos cemetary from Amsterdam to visit my Uncle's grave. He was shot down over Holland May 1944 but his remains along with 2 other crew members from his Halifax were only discovered around 2005 and interred at Jonkersbos.
My hotel only offered a 1 1/2 h taxi ride at 300 Euros,not sure if that's return, or a 3 hour one way ? bus trip. Not very helpful. If possible I would like to see Groesbeck as well
Does anybody know of someone over there who does these sorts of day trips for Canadian tourists?
Thanks
Kate
Kate LeBlanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:05 PM   #2
Temujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate LeBlanc View Post
Hi to all
My trip to Europe is on for September19 and my first stop is Amsterdam. I am trying to find a day tour/guide who can get me to Jonkersbos cemetary from Amsterdam to visit my Uncle's grave. He was shot down over Holland May 1944 but his remains along with 2 other crew members from his Halifax were only discovered around 2005 and interred at Jonkersbos.
My hotel only offered a 1 1/2 h taxi ride at 300 Euros,not sure if that's return, or a 3 hour one way ? bus trip. Not very helpful. If possible I would like to see Groesbeck as well
Does anybody know of someone over there who does these sorts of day trips for Canadian tourists?
Thanks
Kate
Kate, a person I helped with info on her relative. visited their a couple of years ago. I know she was in contact with a young Dutch lad who took them to places they wanted to see. Here name is Janie, her contact thru Canada at War is:

http://www.canadaatwar.ca/forums/member.php?u=922

I also have her home e-mail, and if you'd like I can contact her directly and see if she has info on this that she could share with you

Just let me know

Cheers
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:40 PM   #3
Kate LeBlanc

Talking Info +

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
Kate, a person I helped with info on her relative. visited their a couple of years ago. I know she was in contact with a young Dutch lad who took them to places they wanted to see. Here name is Janie, her contact thru Canada at War is:

http://www.canadaatwar.ca/forums/member.php?u=922

I also have her home e-mail, and if you'd like I can contact her directly and see if she has info on this that she could share with you

Just let me know

Cheers
Hola!! Temujin
Thanks for the link. I just sent an email with the link but if you wouldn't mind following up to her home email for me that would be great and reassuring to her that she hasn't been hacked. I attached my home email of katyboo@navigue.com. If this young man is still available that would be very helpful because then I could do the other 3 Memorials in the area instead of spending all my time travelling.
Spent today online looking at transit options and seems like the train is the fastest and easiest. A little further ahead.

Prosit!
Kate
Old 08-23-2017, 05:22 PM   #4
Temujin

Quote:

Hola!! Temujin
Thanks for the link. I just sent an email with the link but if you wouldn't mind following up to her home email for me that would be great and reassuring to her that she hasn't been hacked. I attached my home email of katyboo@navigue.com. If this young man is still available that would be very helpful because then I could do the other 3 Memorials in the area instead of spending all my time travelling.
Spent today online looking at transit options and seems like the train is the fastest and easiest. A little further ahead.

Prosit!
Kate

Roger Kate, will do. I'll send her an e-mail right now. Hopefully this works out for you. If not, let me know and I'll see what other options I can find....

Cheers

EDIT: e-mail sent

Last edited by Temujin : 08-23-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:28 PM   #5
Temujin

Have a reply already from Janie. She will be contacting you to help.

Have a great trip Kate

Cheers
Old 08-25-2017, 07:04 PM   #6
Kate LeBlanc

Quote:
Have a reply already from Janie. She will be contacting you to help.

Have a great trip Kate

Cheers
Ta!
Janie got back to me really quickly and now I am just waiting to hear from her contact there. In the meantime I've worked a good bit of my way through the mysteries of taking a train and taxi to the site as I know I am not that keen on renting a car and testing my sense of direction by driving solo. If push comes to shove the train will have to do. I do find it strange that there are no small local tour operators for this sort of excursion. I'll need to do it all over again when I get to Lille trying to get to Ypres.
Hey! all part of the adventure and I sure have it a hell of a lot easier than the men who hoofed it to go and fight for this land!
Old 08-25-2017, 07:16 PM   #7
Temujin

Quote:
Ta!
Janie got back to me really quickly and now I am just waiting to hear from her contact there. In the meantime I've worked a good bit of my way through the mysteries of taking a train and taxi to the site as I know I am not that keen on renting a car and testing my sense of direction by driving solo. If push comes to shove the train will have to do. I do find it strange that there are no small local tour operators for this sort of excursion. I'll need to do it all over again when I get to Lille trying to get to Ypres.
Hey! all part of the adventure and I sure have it a hell of a lot easier than the men who hoofed it to go and fight for this land!
Excellent Kate. Let me know if you need more help (if Janie's contact doesn't work). I have a friend who live's in Holland, that I can contact and see if he can give me recommendations for Tour Guides or how to get to places for you.

Just let me know if you'd like me to do that, and I'll give him an e-mail. He'd probably be able to advise me on Ypres also.

Cheers
Old 08-27-2017, 01:58 PM   #8
Kate LeBlanc

Thumbs up

Quote:
Excellent Kate. Let me know if you need more help (if Janie's contact doesn't work). I have a friend who live's in Holland, that I can contact and see if he can give me recommendations for Tour Guides or how to get to places for you.

Just let me know if you'd like me to do that, and I'll give him an e-mail. He'd probably be able to advise me on Ypres also.

Cheers
I would really appreciate it if you would contact this friend because I really would like to make the most of my "free" time on this tour and am open to any help and all info.
I have 2 days on my own in Amsterdam before the rest of the tour arrives I had been hoping my Hotel, the Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Center, apparently a short tram ride to the train station,would be able to set this up but it is not in their "service".
As for Ypres we are doing a day thing and I was told to ask my tour director about what could be done to get me to the Menin Gate from our hotel in Lille-2 nights-for the Last post ceremony in the evening. I have 5 names from here on the Gate to photograph/video. At Vimy I have 40 and Tyne Cott 4 which we are doing as a group.
Let me know via my regular email as I don't always remember to check in here -too much taking up my grey matter.
Kate
Old 08-27-2017, 02:35 PM   #9
Temujin

Quote:
I would really appreciate it if you would contact this friend because I really would like to make the most of my "free" time on this tour and am open to any help and all info.
I have 2 days on my own in Amsterdam before the rest of the tour arrives I had been hoping my Hotel, the Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Center, apparently a short tram ride to the train station,would be able to set this up but it is not in their "service".
As for Ypres we are doing a day thing and I was told to ask my tour director about what could be done to get me to the Menin Gate from our hotel in Lille-2 nights-for the Last post ceremony in the evening. I have 5 names from here on the Gate to photograph/video. At Vimy I have 40 and Tyne Cott 4 which we are doing as a group.
Let me know via my regular email as I don't always remember to check in here -too much taking up my grey matter.
Kate
I'll try Kate. My friend does travel a lot (all over the world), so he may not be available or answer me right away. I'll see what I can find from him. I'll send you a e-mail if I get hold of him and if he can recommend some help
Old 08-27-2017, 02:46 PM   #10
Temujin

E-mail sent. I'll let you know the minute I here back Kate