Old 02-08-2017, 09:37 AM   #1
FredericSmith

Default Hello from Quebec City

Hi,

I am a new member of this forum, although I read it quite often to help for my research. This is a great resource for military historians like myself.

My name is Frederic Smith (call me Fred), I am from Quebec City and I've been working here as a professional historian for the last 18 years, and since 2006 for a government organization.

Despite my last name and my Scottish heritage, I am a French speaker. So please bear with me!

Besides my day job I pursue different interests in military history. In 2012, I published my research about French Resistance in Quebec. And I've been coeditor and webmaster of Le Québec et les guerres mondiales since 2010.

In 2014 I contributed on-screen to an episode of the French-Canadian version of Who Do You Think You Are?, aired on Radio-Canada. I helped a famous Quebec comedian to retrace his uncle's steps during WWII. We went together to Aldershot and Portsmouth, UK and filmed there.

Many viewers contacted me after the episode aired, asking for my help in retracing the military journey of one of their family members. So last year I got the idea of building a website and offering my services under the name Parcours de guerre. I get a copy of the military file, I decipher it and put it in context, and print the result as an elegant book. I completed a few projects so far, including one about the Canadian Railway Troops in WWI (a fascinating but quite ignored story) and another about a 22nd Battalion (French Canadian) soldier who died at Courcelette. I am currently working on the journey of a soldier from the Hastings & Prince Edward Regiment who participated in the Sicily landing and the Italian campaign.

Which brings me to this forum. It is definitely one of the best places to find answers when one tries deciphering a Canadian military file. It helped me quite a lot in the past and it will again.

I hope to be able to return the favor by contributing to this forum.

Cheers!

Webmaster : www.lequebecetlesguerres.org
Founder : www.parcoursdeguerre.ca

Last edited by FredericSmith : 02-08-2017 at 12:15 PM.
FredericSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:04 AM   #2
Temujin

Fred, WELCOME to the Canada at War website.

I'm excited to have another member who can help assist with inquiries and information. I've checked out both your websites, and unfortunately I do not speak or read French, so I wasn't positive on what exactly your sites were offering, so thank you for your explanation. (I do ask my wife, who speaks and reads French to help sometimes)

As you may know, I also try and help people "connect" to their relatives or friends military past, and do a similar thing to you, track down the inforamtion, decipher military records, an help families and members find the information they are looking for. But I would consider my self an amateur "historian" and I consider my "specialty" as anything Engineers, as that is my background. But of course have built up a fairly significant data base (over 90 GB's) of data of information from the Red River Expeditions to the present.

Of course, I'm limited in my searching by the "internet", and what is available on the net to find........but more and more reliable data is being presented every day and of course the "hunt" for information is sometimes the challenge.

As you may be aware, we have other members of this site, that have their own specialties and websites and are invaluable resources to help track information and offer members assistance.

I WELCOME you and look forward to your posts in the future.
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:04 PM   #3
BFBSM
Super Moderator

Default Welcome

G'day and welcome to the forum, I am looking forward to the input.

Mark
BFBSM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:17 PM   #4
FredericSmith

Thanks for the welcome!

Looking forward to post my questions and help answer some others to the best of my knowledge. If any questions is related to regiments in Quebec, don't hesitate to point them to me if you feel I might be helpful.

Cheers!

Webmaster : www.lequebecetlesguerres.org
Founder : www.parcoursdeguerre.ca
FredericSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:30 AM   #5
sanstoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredericSmith View Post
Thanks for the welcome!

Looking forward to post my questions and help answer some others to the best of my knowledge. If any questions is related to regiments in Quebec, don't hesitate to point them to me if you feel I might be helpful.

Cheers!
Hi Fred, I think you maybe able to help me. My Grandfather was Edward Joseph Woods D36684. I do believe that he was Militia district 4 attached to 22nd Armour Regiment. I posted earlier today before seeing this, see more information on my Thread, Searching for my grandfather. Thanks for any help you can give me.... Sandy
sanstoy is offline   Reply With Quote