Old 07-17-2017, 11:13 AM   #1
gunnersgson

Default Searching for Grandfather's Service Info

Hello.

I am anxiously trying to search/research my grandfather's service in WW2. Unfortunately at this point I don't have much to go on.

I do know he was a tank gunner and trained in Calgary. Also have been told his tank was actually hit in battle but they survived.

His name is Harold William Holbeche, DOB - July 19, 1917 in Calgary Alberta.
Passed away Feb 10, 1990.

Any info would be GREATLY appreciated.
gunnersgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:54 PM   #2
BFBSM
Super Moderator

G'day, and welcome to the forum.

The first place to start, I would suggest, is here: http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discove...roduction.aspx. There are directions for obtaining services records if you don't have them.

Also have you tried looking at your local newspapers at your library.

I am sure, other members will be along shortly, who will assist a little more.

Mark
BFBSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:21 PM   #3
Temujin

As Mark suggested you can order his military records from Library and Archives Canada. Be prepared for a long wait, it can take 6 months or more for the records. I've posted the page on "how to order military records" below.

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discove...e-files.aspx#c

Fill the request in with as much info as you know (like the info you supplied us above). If you don't know something, like unit, or Regimental Number do not worry about it. Fill in everything you can. LAC will contact you (when they are ready to search) and let you know the cost etc. The "geni package" gives you abbreviated records......I would order his ENTIRE record, it will cost more, but has much more info (everything in the file).

You will need something to confirm his death, a copy of the death certificate, a photo of the headstone, something that gives them some proof he has passed away more than 20 years (this is so you can have access to all his file)

I will search the various source I have to see if I can spot any other info that may help you I will post it on this site for you
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:11 PM   #4
Temujin

Here's info on his death registry, give you the file etc. From the BC Gov website you can order a copy of his death certificate

Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote