Old 07-25-2017, 10:18 AM   #1
strahljaeger

Default 403 Sqd RCAF, Spitfire SM312 - crashed 25.03.1945

Hello.

I was looking for information about some aircraft crashes. With a few men I work on the historical aviation history of my region (north of the Ruhr district, Germany). We have a large number of Germans and Allied aircraft crashes at the time of the WWII.

One of these crashes was the Spitfire Mk. XVI, SM312. On 25.03.1945 the fighter was on patrol in the area Dorsten – Bocholt, Germany. The aircraft crashlanded (after hit by flak) with pilot Fg.Off. Frederick Burdette Gillis near Dorsten. Gillis must have crashed in the battle area. Dorsten capitulated on 28-29. March 1945. During 25.-26.03.1945 Gillis moved back to allied troops. This troops moved from the airborne landing operation zone / crossing the river Rhein near Wesel to the east direction. Gillis returned on 27.03.1945 to the squadron.

Is there perhaps more information?

I search Gillis take-off time (I think from airfield B.90 Petit Brogel / Kleine Brogel) and the exact crash location of the Spitfir. Walter N. Dove (403 Sqd) wrote in his logbook: “F/L Gillis shot down by flak. Landed among our Paratroopers.” Some other books wrote only “near Dorsten”. The distance from the landing ground "Operation Varsity" north of Hamminkeln and the location “north of Dorsten” is about 15 Miles.

Perhaps also information from the salvage of the Spitfire? The aircraft was taken over by the 410 Repair and Salvage Unit (RSU) on 29.03.1945.

I would be very happy about some new informations. Last I would like to apologize for my bad English. I work with a translation program.

Best regards
Matthias
strahljaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:06 PM   #2
Temujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by strahljaeger View Post
Hello.

I was looking for information about some aircraft crashes. With a few men I work on the historical aviation history of my region (north of the Ruhr district, Germany). We have a large number of Germans and Allied aircraft crashes at the time of the WWII.

One of these crashes was the Spitfire Mk. XVI, SM312. On 25.03.1945 the fighter was on patrol in the area Dorsten – Bocholt, Germany. The aircraft crashlanded (after hit by flak) with pilot Fg.Off. Frederick Burdette Gillis near Dorsten. Gillis must have crashed in the battle area. Dorsten capitulated on 28-29. March 1945. During 25.-26.03.1945 Gillis moved back to allied troops. This troops moved from the airborne landing operation zone / crossing the river Rhein near Wesel to the east direction. Gillis returned on 27.03.1945 to the squadron.

Is there perhaps more information?

I search Gillis take-off time (I think from airfield B.90 Petit Brogel / Kleine Brogel) and the exact crash location of the Spitfir. Walter N. Dove (403 Sqd) wrote in his logbook: “F/L Gillis shot down by flak. Landed among our Paratroopers.” Some other books wrote only “near Dorsten”. The distance from the landing ground "Operation Varsity" north of Hamminkeln and the location “north of Dorsten” is about 15 Miles.

Perhaps also information from the salvage of the Spitfire? The aircraft was taken over by the 410 Repair and Salvage Unit (RSU) on 29.03.1945.

I would be very happy about some new informations. Last I would like to apologize for my bad English. I work with a translation program.

Best regards
Matthias
I'm not quite sure "what" new information you are looking for? Do you want information on F/L Gillis or information on the aircraft itself. You seem to uncovered a lot, and I'm not sure what we could add. Of course a great source of info is the Operational Records of the Squadron, which are available on line at the British National Archives (at a cost) and the military records of F/L Gillis at Library and Archives Canada (at a cost) IF he has passed away for more than 20 years.

I'll check to see if I can find if he has passed away
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:11 PM   #3
Temujin

A lot of info on F/L Gillis

https://rcaf403squadron.wordpress.co...ry/gil-gillis/

https://rcaf403squadron.wordpress.co...-the-russians/

https://raf238squadron.wordpress.com/page/8/
Old 07-25-2017, 12:15 PM   #4
Temujin

Fred Gillis passed away on 25 Apr 2005. This means that his military records will not be available (complete records) until 2025.

https://rcaf403squadron.wordpress.com/2011/12/
Old 07-25-2017, 01:14 PM   #5
strahljaeger

Hi Temujin,

thank´s for the quick answere and the Informations.

The website of the 403 Squadron i had visited and I wrote an email to the webmaster. But he had no additional information for me.
My whish were a copy of the extract of the ORB - with the date of the loss -
maybe with the date of the comeback to his Squadron. Additional a copy of the documents of the 410 RSU, but I think I must search in the UK archives.
All informations, documents from the 403 Sqd with information to this aircraft loss are welcome.
I do not know all possibilitys of sources, that is why I ask so generally.
strahljaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:44 PM   #6
David Johnson

Default 410 Rsu

Hi my name is David Johnson,
I don't know anything about the Spitfire crashes that you are looking for but my father was an airframe mechanic on the Spitire overseas during WWII and was part of the 410 RSU.
I have very many pictures and some interesting stories of his time there.
Sadly he passed away in 2008 but not before I took him to Holland in 2005 for the 60th Anniversary of VE-Day in Holland. A very special time that I spent with my Dad in some of the areas he spent time in during WWII.
I could send you pictures but I don't understand how you do it on this web site.
If you would like to see some maybe send me your email address.
David Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 02:01 PM   #7
Temujin

Quote:
Hi Temujin,

The website of the 403 Squadron i had visited and I wrote an email to the webmaster. But he had no additional information for me.
maybe with the date of the comeback to his Squadron. Additional a copy of the documents of the 410 RSU, but I think I must search in the UK archives.
All informations, documents from the 403 Sqd with information to this aircraft loss are welcome.
Here’s a link to order documents (Operational Record Books)

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...oks-1939-1945/
Old 11-04-2017, 02:03 PM   #8
Temujin

Quote:
Hi Temujin,

Here’s a link to Combat Reports at the British National Archives

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...rts-1939-1945/
Old 11-04-2017, 02:57 PM   #9
Temujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnson View Post
Hi my name is David Johnson,
I don't know anything about the Spitfire crashes that you are looking for but my father was an airframe mechanic on the Spitire overseas during WWII and was part of the 410 RSU.
I have very many pictures and some interesting stories of his time there.
Sadly he passed away in 2008 but not before I took him to Holland in 2005 for the 60th Anniversary of VE-Day in Holland. A very special time that I spent with my Dad in some of the areas he spent time in during WWII.
I could send you pictures but I don't understand how you do it on this web site.
If you would like to see some maybe send me your email address.
Dave, I can send you instructions on how to post photo’s on this site if you wish. I’ll send you a Private Message
Old 11-07-2017, 02:34 PM   #10
Temujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
Dave, I can send you instructions on how to post photo’s on this site if you wish. I’ll send you a Private Message
Dave, here’s a link to “how to post photos on this site” for you

http://www.canadaatwar.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=6986