Old 01-10-2018, 01:24 PM   #1
GeorgeTankSherman

Default Private Ruel Murphy Mitchell

Looking for Information on cause of death, if possible on Private Ruel Murphy Mitchell, from Granbury, Texas, a member of the Canadian Infantry Saskatchewan Regiment, died 08 November 1918 who was brought home to Texas ! Any help would be appreciated !
GeorgeTankSherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:29 PM   #2
Temujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeTankSherman View Post
Looking for Information on cause of death, if possible on Private Ruel Murphy Mitchell, from Granbury, Texas, a member of the Canadian Infantry Saskatchewan Regiment, died 08 November 1918 who was brought home to Texas ! Any help would be appreciated !

A link to His military records, click on the PDF file at the bottom of this record:

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discove...dNumber=185537

Records indicate he died of influenza in Regina. He enlisted as part of the Siberian Draft

Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:18 PM   #3
GeorgeTankSherman

As always, "Thank You" Temujin for the Help and Assistance, would you happen to know where these two hail from ?

Russell Lowell Johnson, died 12 November 1917 R.F.C. buried Dalhart, Texas is from ??

Also

John (L) or (C) Wray, died 13 February 1918, RFC, buried here in Fort Worth, Texas. Kinda a challenge, depending on how and where you search, his Initials change. But can not find his info other than Name, Date of Death, and died in an accident.

Appreciate your time, help and assistance. Trying to get as much info, trying to get a package together for the City of Benbrook, Texas where Vernon Castle was killed in an accident on Feb 15, 1918 !
Old 01-10-2018, 07:48 PM   #4
Temujin

Not having much luck with Russell Lowell Johnson, Some info

https://www.cwgc.org/find/find-war-d...ARK%20CEMETERY

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/rememb...well%20Johnson

Still looking
Old 01-10-2018, 10:39 PM   #5
GeorgeTankSherman

I am afraid that J. Wray is just as bad ! But appreciate your help !!! Thanks !
Old 01-11-2018, 03:10 AM   #6
GeorgeTankSherman

Well, found John L. Wray info, talking about going around the bushes, could not find any info on him, but while looking for another individual buried at Arlington National Cemetery under Payton C. March Jr. I got Lt. Wray's info, Canadian Native living in Los Angeles at time of enlistment killed in flying accident with Cadet R.M. Porter from Patchogue, New York at Hicks Field in Fort Worth, Texas while in the School of Aerial Gunnery.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:06 AM   #7
Temujin

Hey George. I was looking all last night and I haven’t confirmed it yet, but I think that Russell Lowell Johnson may have been killed at the same place..

I found records that the School of Aerial Gunnery was moved from Toronto to Texas is the fall of 1917. I’ll post some articles shortly.

Then I did find a record that said he died in a airplane crash at the School of Aerial Gunnery.

As it was the policy of the Commonweath Countries (which Canada was part of) that when soldiers, sailor’s or airmen were killed, they were buried “where they died”. Bodies were NOT shipped home (even if they died close to home). They were buried in local cemetaries etc. So when I discovered the S of AG was located in Texas for a time, it only made sense to me, that he must have died their.

Also, I seem to have found a Texas death record that may indicated the County he died in:

Last edited by Temujin : 01-11-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:18 AM   #8
Temujin

http://www.jackclegg.com/AmendRec.htm

Here’s the “record” I found on him saying he died in a Airplane accident.......still trying to confirm this
Old 01-11-2018, 11:41 AM   #9
GeorgeTankSherman

Thank You for the info on Johnson, Found Info that Commonwealth Cadets were at Benbrook Field, in Benbrook, Texas and Barron Field in Everman, Texas, and U.S. Cadets and the School of Aerial Gunnery was at Hicks Field in Saginaw, Texas. Any idea of were Johnson was from ???
Old 01-11-2018, 01:14 PM   #10
Temujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeTankSherman View Post
Thank You for the info on Johnson, Found Info that Commonwealth Cadets were at Benbrook Field, in Benbrook, Texas and Barron Field in Everman, Texas, and U.S. Cadets and the School of Aerial Gunnery was at Hicks Field in Saginaw, Texas. Any idea of were Johnson was from ???

2LT Russell Lowell Johnson
BIRTH 15 Aug 1894 Woodbine, Harrison County, Iowa, USA
DEATH 12 Nov 1917
BURIAL Memorial Park Cemetery Dalhart, Dallam County, Texas, USA