Old 12-12-2017, 04:13 PM   #1
ehalpin

Default ww1 inscribed memorial locket found

I recently came into the possession of an inscribed memorial locket for a Louis Jarvis, Can. Infantry, Eastern Ontario Regiment, KIA May 8, 1915. A tunic button was used with a photo placed inside. He is listed on page 29 of WW1 dead. I would really like to return this item back to the mans family. Can anyone help or guide me as to how best to trace where this locket belongs.
Thx for your help.
ehalpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:21 PM   #2
Temujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehalpin View Post
I recently came into the possession of an inscribed memorial locket for a Louis Jarvis, Can. Infantry, Eastern Ontario Regiment, KIA May 8, 1915. A tunic button was used with a photo placed inside. He is listed on page 29 of WW1 dead. I would really like to return this item back to the mans family. Can anyone help or guide me as to how best to trace where this locket belongs.
Thx for your help.
Here are his records. Give’s his mother name and address. Of course all his parent would be passed away.....so finding relatives could be hard.

Records indicate he was with the PPCLI when killed in action.

I might suggest, contacting the PPCLI Regimental Museum, see if they could help.......second, contact the Royal Canadian Legion to see if they would help...

If you cannot determine a relative, I might suggest donating the item to the PPCLI Regimental Museum may be a “good home” for it.

I’ll see if I can find anything else
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:23 PM   #3
Temujin

Here’s a link to his records

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discov...dNumber=485906
Old 12-12-2017, 06:28 PM   #4
Temujin

Old 12-14-2017, 04:44 PM   #5
ehalpin

Default Louis Jarvis locket

Thank you so much for that information. The locket was actually found in Thunder Bay (was Ft William). I shall try and contact any family members. Will post results.

Eric
Old 12-14-2017, 09:52 PM   #6
ludford101

http://members.tripod.com/hal_macgre...r/thunder.html

Quote:
Pearl McGregor: (Harry's second wife) The former Miss Pearl Jarvis, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Louis Jarvis. She attended St. Stanislaus School and the Fort William Collegiate. She was previously married to Herman Hill, who died in 1930. She married Harry in 1932. An adherent of the Anglican Church, she was a member of the Ladies Auxiliary to the Ortona Legion and the Army, Navy and Air Force Unit.

Pearl died 20 October 1972. She was survived by her two sons Robert and Wayne.
ludford101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:33 AM   #7
ehalpin

Default locket

Success! Thanks to your help and information I have located the great great grand-daughter of the locket. I shall be sending it back to Thunder Bay shortly. Thank you fellas again, for your help. No doubt Louis would be tickled pink to know this locket that belonged to his wife is being returned to the family.

Regards
Eric
Old 12-23-2017, 12:36 PM   #8
ehalpin

Default another request and locket update

I just received an email from the Jarvis family in Thunder Bay thanking me for the return of the locket. They are thrilled and over joyed and plan on learning more of their ancestor. So thanks again. I now have another request!

I operate the town cemetery and we have one very old rotting wooden cross left. I want to have it rebuilt and preserved and the medallions mounted on it transferred to the new. This is a memorial cross for a Andrew Ronald Gamble KIA Passchendaele Nov 3,1917 (pg 411 on KIA list). Can I ask you to forward copies of his records again so I can write a service history of this man and stir up some local interest in his memory at a future dedication.

Thank you again for all your help.

Eric
Old 12-23-2017, 03:03 PM   #9
Temujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehalpin View Post
I just received an email from the Jarvis family in Thunder Bay thanking me for the return of the locket. They are thrilled and over joyed and plan on learning more of their ancestor. So thanks again. I now have another request!

I operate the town cemetery and we have one very old rotting wooden cross left. I want to have it rebuilt and preserved and the medallions mounted on it transferred to the new. This is a memorial cross for a Andrew Ronald Gamble KIA Passchendaele Nov 3,1917 (pg 411 on KIA list). Can I ask you to forward copies of his records again so I can write a service history of this man and stir up some local interest in his memory at a future dedication.

Thank you again for all your help.

Eric
Eric, here are his records. Click on the PDF file on the bottom left

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discov...dNumber=406880

Last edited by Temujin : 12-23-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-23-2017, 03:11 PM   #10
Temujin