Old 08-15-2017, 09:17 PM   #21
substatica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
You can read about Holding and Reinforcements from this document (it downloads for free)

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-...ype=2&RfId=133
Good stuff in there. I also found this tidbit in someone's memoirs,

Headquarters E Group, Canadian Reinforcement Units, Blackdown barracks, near Sandhurst.
Colonel S. A. Lee, Camp Borden, 2nd Armoured Brigade
substatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:50 PM   #22
kez

Holding Unit/Reinforcement Unit is the terminology you see for overseas, I'm not sure how different in Canada. The Home War Establishment notation on his original unit was to differentiate from Holding Establishment. I take HWE as more permanent staff/trainers at a Training Centre, HE as the temporary troops passing through for training.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:37 AM   #23
Temujin

I guess the whole issue is, we can't be sure of anything you are finding until you receive his military records that tell us definitively which units he was in and where. His records will tell us if he went to England, or not. Stayed in Canada as a "trainer" and which unit he was with etc.

Everything that is being posted is a "best guess" right now, and as soon as you recieve his records (yes, I know it takes a while) the quicker you'll have most of your answers.

Cheers
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:53 AM   #24
substatica

Quote:
I guess the whole issue is, we can't be sure of anything you are finding until you receive his military records that tell us definitively which units he was in and where. His records will tell us if he went to England, or not. Stayed in Canada as a "trainer" and which unit he was with etc.

Everything that is being posted is a "best guess" right now, and as soon as you recieve his records (yes, I know it takes a while) the quicker you'll have most of your answers.

Cheers
Indeed, I understand that, though through this research I'm gathering all sorts of context and it's not without it's entertainment value.

One of my issues is that my father and I will be travelling to Europe later this year and visiting a number of war-related historical sites. This could be our, very likely his, only opportunity to visit these places and consider the roles his father and grandfathers played there.

In the event the LAC doesn't fill my requests in time I'd like to have as complete a picture as possible.

I'm quite sure that Reginald Sparkes was part of this No. 3 Canadian Armored Corps Holding Unit in 1942. Also convinced he was in the GGHG in 1941, if only for a short period. Verbal history has told me he went to England to be a tank instructor.

I've been wondering if I could perhaps identify the building that unit is posing in front of -- seems like a church. I'm not entirely sure what good that would do, but it would be fun to place that photo.

Last edited by substatica : 08-16-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:06 AM   #25
Temujin

Where did you find the photo's (personel, or on line). If their an on line site, I could examine more.

So far, I haven't found more info (on line) of a No 3 Canadian Armoured Corps Holding Unit.......I do not know if this is a Canadain Based of UK Based unit.

Not sure if the photo is a church, as you said, it could be a barracks building or a HQ's building, but not enough of the building to tell. If I could find some reference (which I haven't been able to) of where the No 3 CAC Holding unit was located, then I could cross reference to buildings.

Not being much more help here I think??
Old 08-16-2017, 11:49 AM   #26
substatica

Quote:
Where did you find the photo's (personel, or on line). If their an on line site, I could examine more.

So far, I haven't found more info (on line) of a No 3 Canadian Armoured Corps Holding Unit.......I do not know if this is a Canadain Based of UK Based unit.

Not sure if the photo is a church, as you said, it could be a barracks building or a HQ's building, but not enough of the building to tell. If I could find some reference (which I haven't been able to) of where the No 3 CAC Holding unit was located, then I could cross reference to buildings.

Not being much more help here I think??
The photos and articles are from a scrap book compiled by Reginald Sparkes daughter. The GGHG article (R.Y. Eaton) is on a page labelled "Army Days G.G.H.G." and 1941.

The next page is labelled 1942 along with the text "Going Places," a cartoon of a British double decker bus, a cartoon of some Queen's Guard, I believe a photo of Reginald posing with relatives from England, an article regarding a convoy, below.

The next page has the No. 3 Canadian Armoured Corps Holding Unit photos and articles, though no annotations or labeling, could still be 1942 in England, or not.

The follow page is labelled "Peace".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reginald Sparkes Convoy Article 1942.jpg (287.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 08-16-2017, 01:18 PM   #27
substatica

This book,

Steel My Soldiers' Hearts, Neil J. Stewart

Has No. 3 C.A.C.R.U. at Blackdown Barracks in England. Which coincides with a painting here labelled,

"The Camouflage Net", 3 CACRU - Surrey, England. Bruno J. Bobak
Old 08-25-2017, 02:36 PM   #28
substatica

I have received his C.E.F. record from the LAC for WW1. Though it's rather brief. It can be summarized as,

May 21, 1917 - Toronto, Enlisted, No. 2 C.A.S.C.

May 15, 1918 - Transferred to Ottawa O.S. Depot C.A.S.C.

Jun. 28, 1918 - Niagara Camp, Medical inspection

Mar. 31, 1920 - DISCHARGED AND S.O.S. PART 11, O.S. A.S.C. T.D.
Mar. 31, 1920 - Toronto, Rank Private, Discharged, Demobilization, Unit No. 2 C.A.S.C. Service Company

Can any information be gleaned from this as to what he was responsible for between 1917 and 1920 with No. 2 C.A.S.C. ? For instance, were O.S. (overseas) depots overseas? Or just training for overseas? What camp would this have been in Ottawa? My anecdotal family history is that he was a motorcycle dispatch in WW1, I don't see anything that points to that here.

Last edited by substatica : 08-25-2017 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:42 PM   #29
substatica

I've managed to find the officers that signed his attestation, and discharge papers in the hopes of tracking his service better.

Attestation signed by:
Lt Wilfred Desidnia Wilson
O.C. No. 2. A.S.C. Training Depot C.E.F.
http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discove...dNumber=321434

Discharge signed by:
Major Alfred Clarence Larter
O.C. No. 2. C.A.S.C. Service Company
http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?...&id=B5417-S016
Old 08-27-2017, 09:01 AM   #30
Temujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by substatica View Post
I have received his C.E.F. record from the LAC for WW1. Though it's rather brief. It can be summarized as,

May 21, 1917 - Toronto, Enlisted, No. 2 C.A.S.C.

May 15, 1918 - Transferred to Ottawa O.S. Depot C.A.S.C.

Jun. 28, 1918 - Niagara Camp, Medical inspection

Mar. 31, 1920 - DISCHARGED AND S.O.S. PART 11, O.S. A.S.C. T.D.
Mar. 31, 1920 - Toronto, Rank Private, Discharged, Demobilization, Unit No. 2 C.A.S.C. Service Company

Can any information be gleaned from this as to what he was responsible for between 1917 and 1920 with No. 2 C.A.S.C. ? For instance, were O.S. (overseas) depots overseas? Or just training for overseas? What camp would this have been in Ottawa? My anecdotal family history is that he was a motorcycle dispatch in WW1, I don't see anything that points to that here.
Not necessarily, the part about the unit being Oversea's. In order to determine the whereabouts of units you would need to see their War Diaries. This would tell you the location of the unit throughout the war.

From what you posted, I would say he never left Canada. If he did, it would have on his records something about his embarkation and dis-embarkation in England............OR, other theater such as the Siberian Expedition.

Military records "seldom" tell you their ACTUAL job with a unit. The only way to confirm or get information on possibly "what he did", is the man's own letters home, OR if he took special training, OR in the Part 2 Daily Orders. Part 2 Daily Orders are held at LAC, and it's possible that these records "may" tell you his assigned sub-unit within his unit, or job. Again this isn't always possible, but it's and avenue to explore.