Old 08-08-2017, 02:35 PM   #11
substatica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
I'll check to see if I have any info in my files on those units, but unfortunately I'm out of Canada right now and all my files are at home, so it will be a while before I can take a look to see what I have.
I've found the following on the field ambulance units,

No. 14 Field Ambulance, RCAMC
Assigned to 7th Canadian Infantry Brigade (D-Day)
Based in Moncton New Brunswick

No. 22 Field Ambulance, RCAMC
Assigned to 8th Canadian Infantry Brigade (D-Day)
Based in Halifax Nova Scotia

No. 23 Field Ambulance, RCAMC
Assigned to 9th Canadian Infantry Brigade (D-Day)
Based in Camp Petawawa Ontario

Since he enlisted in Toronto I would think he'd have been part of No. 23 out of Petawawa.

The "Official History of The Canadian Medical Services 1939 - 1945," has No. 23 supporting the 9th Brigade. On D-Day plus one the 9th Brigade "received the weight of the 12th S.S. Panzer Division," which, with some conjecture, could account for family history that my Grandfather, though injured by shrapnel, was the sole survivor of an ambulance which was hit.
substatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:09 PM   #12
Temujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by substatica View Post
I've found the following on the field ambulance units,

No. 14 Field Ambulance, RCAMC
Assigned to 7th Canadian Infantry Brigade (D-Day)
Based in Moncton New Brunswick

No. 22 Field Ambulance, RCAMC
Assigned to 8th Canadian Infantry Brigade (D-Day)
Based in Halifax Nova Scotia

No. 23 Field Ambulance, RCAMC
Assigned to 9th Canadian Infantry Brigade (D-Day)
Based in Camp Petawawa Ontario

Since he enlisted in Toronto I would think he'd have been part of No. 23 out of Petawawa.

The "Official History of The Canadian Medical Services 1939 - 1945," has No. 23 supporting the 9th Brigade. On D-Day plus one the 9th Brigade "received the weight of the 12th S.S. Panzer Division," which, with some conjecture, could account for family history that my Grandfather, though injured by shrapnel, was the sole survivor of an ambulance which was hit.

But, the info you supplied indicates he was X-3 on the 30th June.....well after the landings. I'll look further
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:57 PM   #13
substatica

Quote:
But, the info you supplied indicates he was X-3 on the 30th June.....well after the landings. I'll look further
True, true. Any thoughts on what the Service Book says between X3 and RCAMC? Or why he would be SOS to then TOS to RCAMC? Shuffled between different units within RCAMC?
Old 08-08-2017, 08:33 PM   #14
substatica

Also, I was wondering if his Pay Book may be of help, I'm trying to read the Paymaster/Officer signatures in the hopes of determining where he was for that pay period.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pages 06 - 07 Thumb.jpg (276.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Pages 08 - 09 Thumb.jpg (313.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 08-08-2017, 11:43 PM   #15
kez

It's X3 "list". Standard terminology to differentiate between the unit itself and its various X lists (there were several others).

I've had a bit of success with officer names in a Service Book, but usually when the unit is known and you are trying to determine Platoon or similar. That keeps the list of known officer names to compare reasonable. Trying to get the unit from an officer name is tough unless the name is very clear and somewhat distinct. Trying to find the Paymaster for a particular Field Ambulance (or other unit) might also be tough. I'd look for other training or similar entries for the appropriate time frame and see if there is an officer (Company or Section officer) that might be a bit easier to link.

As suggested, his personnel file should reveal some of these details.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:54 PM   #16
kez

CVSM + Star might be a funny way of saying CVSM and clasp (the Maple Leaf device worn on the ribbon indicating overseas service). His campaign stars are listed separately, so not those.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:03 AM   #17
substatica

Quote:
Originally Posted by kez View Post
It's X3 "list". Standard terminology to differentiate between the unit itself and its various X lists (there were several others).

I've had a bit of success with officer names in a Service Book, but usually when the unit is known and you are trying to determine Platoon or similar. That keeps the list of known officer names to compare reasonable. Trying to get the unit from an officer name is tough unless the name is very clear and somewhat distinct. Trying to find the Paymaster for a particular Field Ambulance (or other unit) might also be tough. I'd look for other training or similar entries for the appropriate time frame and see if there is an officer (Company or Section officer) that might be a bit easier to link.

As suggested, his personnel file should reveal some of these details.
I faxed the record request out today, two actually, his and one for my Great Grandfather as well. As for the officer names, one in the Pay Book is quite clearly, W. D. Stonehouse, but that's not until 1945, 1944 is dominated by two officer's signatures, but I've been unable to confidently decipher the handwriting. If I had, I was going to do some searches and see if any RCAMC info popped up, rather a long shot.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:17 AM   #18
Temujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by substatica View Post
I faxed the record request out today, two actually, his and one for my Great Grandfather as well. As for the officer names, one in the Pay Book is quite clearly, W. D. Stonehouse, but that's not until 1945, 1944 is dominated by two officer's signatures, but I've been unable to confidently decipher the handwriting. If I had, I was going to do some searches and see if any RCAMC info popped up, rather a long shot.
Was your great grandfather a veteran of WW1 or WW2? And his name?
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:03 AM   #19
substatica

Quote:
Was your great grandfather a veteran of WW1 or WW2? And his name?
I started another thread on him, I don't want folks reading this one to get this one confused between the two.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:48 PM   #20
substatica

Quote:
Originally Posted by kez View Post
CVSM + Star might be a funny way of saying CVSM and clasp (the Maple Leaf device worn on the ribbon indicating overseas service). His campaign stars are listed separately, so not those.
I stopped by the 48th Highlanders museum in Toronto today and had a look at the medals, now I think it's just a typo -- they wrote STAR when they should've written BAR for the overseas service.