Old 08-27-2017, 08:21 AM   #31
Temujin

Some general info on the Canadian Army Service Corps during WW1:

http://www.rcasc.com/great_war_1914-1918
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:42 AM   #32
Temujin

I can't find any war diaries for these units on line (WW1 war diaries are available on line at the following link)

https://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/.../020152_e.html

This doesn't mean there aren't any. Sometime's war diaries of units got "mixed up" with others, or if the Units name changed (which happened quite a lot) or the unit was amalgamated with other units, their war diaries would be "rolled into" the other units.

Also, War Diaries, were only required to be written by units when they went oversea's. Many did them anyway, even in Canada......but other's didn't.

My suggestion, again contact LAC and see if they can point you in any direction to find out information on No 2 Canadian Army Service Corps Service Company

Cheers
Old 08-27-2017, 09:03 AM   #33
substatica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
Military records "seldom" tell you their ACTUAL job with a unit. The only way to confirm or get information on possibly "what he did", is the man's own letters home, OR if he took special training, OR in the Part 2 Daily Orders. Part 2 Daily Orders are held at LAC, and it's possible that these records "may" tell you his assigned sub-unit within his unit, or job. Again this isn't always possible, but it's and avenue to explore.
His record is brief, there isn't anything other than his enlistment papers, a medical exam and his discharge papers. Seems odd for 3-years of service. Also, No. 2. C.A.S.C. Service Company strikes me as a wide-spread unit for which I haven't found any war diaries as-of-yet.
substatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:12 PM   #34
Temujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by substatica View Post
His record is brief, there isn't anything other than his enlistment papers, a medical exam and his discharge papers. Seems odd for 3-years of service. Also, No. 2. C.A.S.C. Service Company strikes me as a wide-spread unit for which I haven't found any war diaries as-of-yet.
Not really, WW1 records could be very "brief" as you said. A Couple of pages on his enlistment and units, medical documents and Pay documents. And I haven been able to find any info on No 2 CASC Service Company. It all depends, some men's documents were extensive and some just a few pages.

Again, best resource is LAC and see what they have.......I'm still checking my sources but not having much luck
Old 08-27-2017, 02:07 PM   #35
Temujin

I did find an article on the Service Corps in Ottawa. It says they were located at 283 Wellington Street

Old 08-27-2017, 03:03 PM   #36
substatica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
I did find an article on the Service Corps in Ottawa. It says they were located at 283 Wellington Street
Cheers, thanks for that! Where do you source your newspaper archives from by the way?
substatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:31 PM   #37
Temujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by substatica View Post
Cheers, thanks for that! Where do you source your newspaper archives from by the way?
I use Newspapers.com. It a subscription site