Old 08-09-2017, 10:02 AM   #1
substatica

Default Sergeant Reginald Sparkes, Reg. No. 514410

Researching my Great Grandfather's time in the service (and my Grandfather's in another thread). The information passed down to me was that he was a motorcycle dispatch rider in WW1 and a tank commander in WW2, though perhaps in a training instructor capacity rather than combat.

I have requested his record from Ottawa. I have attached his attestation. Any info or insight would be appreciated. Cheers.

Sergeant Reginald Sparkes, B-4824
b. May 2nd, 1899 d. Dec. 8, 1974

Joined the No. 2-OS Cdn. Army Service Corps
May 21, 1917 - Discharged Mar. 31, 1920

Joined the Cdn. Armoured Corps (Tanks) (GCHG Sgt.)
Jan. 17 1941 - Discharged Jul. 5, 1945
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reginald Sparkes - Attestation Page 1.jpg (274.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Reginald Sparkes - Attestation Page 2.jpg (177.7 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by substatica : 08-15-2017 at 02:33 PM.
substatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:19 AM   #2
Temujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by substatica View Post
Researching my Great Grandfather's time in the service (and my Grandfather's in another thread). The information passed down to me was that he was a motorcycle dispatch rider in WW1 and a tank commander in WW2, though perhaps in a training instructor capacity rather than combat.

I have requested his record from Ottawa. I have attached his attestation. Any info or insight would be appreciated. Cheers.

Sergeant Reginald Sparkes, B-4824
b. May 2nd, 1899 d. Dec. 8, 1974

Joined the No. 2-OS Cdn. Army Service Corps
May 21, 1917 - Discharged Mar. 31, 1920

Joined the Cdn. Armoured Corps (Tanks) (GCHG Sgt.)
Jan. 17 1941 - Discharged Jul. 5, 1945
For the First Reg Number you gave me, he was part of the Non-Permanent Active Militia. His records for this are at LAC

Item: SPARKES, Reginald (4368)
Name:
SPARKES, Reginald
Regimental Number:
Reference: RG9-II-B-7, Finding Aid 9-60, Volume 73
Item Number: 630696
Record Group: Non-Permanent Active Militia

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discove...dNumber=630696

And the second record, you have his Attestation Papers. You don't have to order his military records.....LAC is currently digitizing all 640,000 WW1 records, so his will be available on line for free in the future. You just have to go to the link below, and when his records are ready, a PDF file will show up on the bottom left of the record, which you can then download.

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discove...dNumber=242917

For his WW2 records, you'll have to order them from LAC as you did your fathers
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:28 AM   #3
substatica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
For the First Reg Number you gave me, he was part of the Non-Permanent Active Militia. His records for this are at LAC
Thanks! So this is something I've run into before, the LAC online interface is rather cluttered and convoluted. Is it the case that for this reference number and item number (and most others) I would need to physically visit the LAC to view the contents?

Old 08-09-2017, 10:51 AM   #4
Temujin

Quote:
Thanks! So this is something I've run into before, the LAC online interface is rather cluttered and convoluted. Is it the case that for this reference number and item number (and most others) I would need to physically visit the LAC to view the contents?

Not necessarily, this is his Records, which should be available thru LAC the same way you order his WW2 records.

What I would suggest, is call them (in Ottawa) explain what you want (his PRE - WW1 records in the Non-Permanent Active Militia and see what they say. They will advise you of how to do this.

IF, you need to physically visit LAC to see those records, you can also do it by 'private researcher". LAC has a list of Private researchers you can use. They usually charge by the hour. In this case, you know exactly which record you are looking for, so you give them that and instruct them to photograph that record only. The researcher will order the records (to be pulled so he can view it) and then go to LAC to take the photo's.

OR, you can do that yourself. LAC website explains how to view records and what you need to do.

My thought's are, if your ordering his WW2 records (and his WW1, but I would wait as they will be available anyway for free) then asking them to pull this file and include the info with your WW2 request. They charge by "page" for records (even if the page is blank) so it shouldn't be a big deal to them, but phoning and confirming the best way is my first suggestion
Old 08-09-2017, 11:00 AM   #5
Temujin

Book at the Toronto Public Library you might use, if your near Toronto, or your local library "may" have a copy, or get a copy thru intra library loan

Governor General's Horse Guards 1939-1945
http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/d...9414&R=1549414
Old 08-09-2017, 12:48 PM   #6
Temujin

Quote:

Item: SPARKES, Reginald (4368)
Name:
SPARKES, Reginald
Regimental Number:
Record Group: Non-Permanent Active Militia

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discove...dNumber=630696
I just noticed, the Reg number you gave me for Reginald Sparkes (B-4824) is NOT the same as the one I found. I did note you had a B in front of yours, but I ignored that, as WW1 Numbers did NOT have letters in front of them.

So now I'm not sure if this is the same man. Also, on his Attestation Papers, it indicates he had NO PREVIOUS military service, so again I'm not sure if this is the same man.

I'm doing more checking to see if I can sort this out

His attestation paper give the number 514410

This matches the lists for Reg Service Numbers as:

512751 - 515025 C.A.S.C. Trs. Dpo. M.D.2.

Last edited by Temujin : 08-09-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:16 PM   #7
substatica

Quote:
I just noticed, the Reg number you gave me for Reginald Sparkes (B-4824) is NOT the same as the one I found. I did note you had a B in front of yours, but I ignored that, as WW1 Numbers did NOT have letters in front of them.

So now I'm not sure if this is the same man. Also, on his Attestation Papers, it indicates he had NO PREVIOUS military service, so again I'm not sure if this is the same man.

I'm doing more checking to see if I can sort this out

His attestation paper give the number 514410

This matches the lists for Reg Service Numbers as:

512751 - 515025 C.A.S.C. Trs. Dpo. M.D.2.
The B-4824 came from a document compiled by a family member at least two decades ago, I can't verify it, though they wrote it in relation to his WW2 service. Though I was under the impression one's Reg. No. never changed. The attestation shows Reg No 514410 and #2 C.A.S.C. at the top, yeah, so I suppose we'll go with that one for WW1.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:00 PM   #8
Temujin

Quote:
The B-4824 came from a document compiled by a family member at least two decades ago, I can't verify it, though they wrote it in relation to his WW2 service. Though I was under the impression one's Reg. No. never changed. The attestation shows Reg No 514410 and #2 C.A.S.C. at the top, yeah, so I suppose we'll go with that one for WW1.
During WW2 Regimental Numbers "could" change. And Officer's did not have Regimental Numbers untill almost the end of the War. Normally you retained the same number, even if you changed Corps (Infantry to Engineers for example) or Infantry units.....but it was possible to have more than one number. But "normally" once assigned a CASF number, this stayed with you, as I said above.

Also in the RCAF, when you joined (say as a pilot), you started out with an enlisted number (starting with an "R") and if you were promoted of Pilot Officer, you would then recieve and officer's number (starting with an "J")

So yes, it was possible to have more than 1 regimental number.

In WW1, it was possible to join, recieve a number and be discharged (for various reason, one being UNDERAGE) and then rejoining and recieve a new number.

Last edited by Temujin : 08-09-2017 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:05 PM   #9
Temujin

Here's a link on Regimental Numbers for Army, Navy and Air Force (plus some others)

http://www.canadaatwar.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=3172