Old 02-21-2017, 12:41 PM   #1
Boheme4ever

Default What are these army vehicles?

Hello all,
My father, Sgt. Glenday, was with the 4th Canadian Armoured Division and I have digitized his war album with the goal of setting up a blog about his participation.

There isn’t much description in the photos, and as with most veterans, he didn’t want to talk about the war very much.

I’m trying to identify some of the vehicles in the photos, I’ve looked up tanks, visited every tank and vehicle in the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa but can’t figure out exactly what these are. I’d like some kind of description other than “vehicle stuck in mud”, “capsized tank/armoured carrier”, “another vehicle stuck in the mud”, etc.

Any help is much appreciated!
(This is my first time posting so am not sure if the photos are inserted properly)
Boheme4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:15 PM   #2
LMB41

Default RAM tank or variant

Judging from the overall look of the tank and especially the suspension, I would say
that the tanks pictured are Canadian RAM tanks or some variation of these. I was not
able to see a main gun in the photographs but the RAM tanks were mostly used for
other purposes. These may have been modified to act as armoured personnel carriers. It is
also possible that the guns were removed before the photographs were taken.
LMB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:00 PM   #3
LMB41

Default RAM tank, mark 1

The details of the suspensions in the two tank photographs indicate that they were RAM
Mark 1 tanks, the early version. This means that they were almost certainly being used
as something else. A good reference for this are two booklets from Service Publications
of Ottawa: _The Ram - Developments and Variants_ , volumes one and two.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:55 AM   #4
Temujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB41 View Post
The details of the suspensions in the two tank photographs indicate that they were RAM
Mark 1 tanks, the early version. This means that they were almost certainly being used
as something else. A good reference for this are two booklets from Service Publications
of Ottawa: _The Ram - Developments and Variants_ , volumes one and two.
I would say they are Sherman tanks. Also note that the front of the tank is not the same as a RAM.......and the RAM tanks had a "side hatch" in the main body of the tank (see the link below) and this one does not.

Here is an excellent website about the RAM, all it's varients, vehicle numbers etc and you can see by the hundreds of photo's that this tank does NOT look like a RAM.

http://www.ramtank.ca/census%20allocation.htm

you can see in the above link, that the design of the RAM was to follow the US Sherman, but then the Canadian and British authorities decided to change it, that is why the running gear is so similar between the two tanks and the basic shape, but the RAM was squatter at the front (and lower)

Last edited by Temujin : 02-27-2017 at 10:00 PM.
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:59 PM   #5
LMB41

Default Ram or Sherman

In looking back at the photographs and the Service Publications booklets on both the Sherman and the Ram tanks, I would conclude that Temujin is correct. The differences that I saw in the suspensions are not consistent either within the Rams or the Shermans and the other differences are probably decisive.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:44 PM   #6
Boheme4ever

Default Thank you!

Looks like I've got lots more reading to do. Never occurred to me about the modifications that would be done to the armoured vehicles/tanks.

Much appreciated.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:49 PM   #7
Boheme4ever

So they'd be "our" tanks? Not photos of German ones; I think I checked mostly German tanks.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:58 PM   #8
Temujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boheme4ever View Post
So they'd be "our" tanks? Not photos of German ones; I think I checked mostly German tanks.
These are Allied Tanks (Sherman's)
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote