Go Back   Canada at War Forums > Canada and Second World War (World War II) > SWW Canadian Soldier Research Help
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2017, 08:07 PM   #31
Temujin

Heather, LAC is your best source. I know it takes time (and money) but they do have the records.

You can hope the RWR has something (and they might) but MOST military museums tell you to get individual soldiers records you have to go to LAC.

Good luck
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:12 PM   #32
Heather Smith

Thanks Temujin,
I will contact LAC, but I would like to see if RWR comes up with anything first.

Heather
Heather Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:37 PM   #33
BFBSM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Smith View Post
Thank you Mark,
I here been in contact with RWR about the War Diaries, so now I'll just wait for their response.

Heather
Excellent. Please let us know how you go.

Mark
BFBSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:06 PM   #34
Heather Smith

Hi Mark,
I certainly will let you know.
Thank you,
Heather
Old 03-24-2017, 10:39 PM   #35
kez

Heather,

A couple of points, apologies if these have been covered elsewhere in the thread.

Nominal rolls were generally only created for major moves of the unit (say by ship or rail), to ensure they precisely kept track of who left/who arrived. There would have been an embarkation roll for D-Day, though I do not know if it has been preserved in their War Diary. It depended on the unit, but some were detailed with Coy information, etc., others were fairly simple lists. They were almost impossible to maintain even before the invasion, there was a constant churn of men in and out.

I've only seen bits of Sim's record, if I'm not mistaken he joined the RWR in Jan 44 and remained with them? If so, his file won't show any additional detail on his movements. You need to see where the Winnipegs were from their Diary, a location was recorded each day. Based on what I know of the Reginas, who were also part of 7 Brigade and therefore always close by, they were in Southern England during this period, roughly from Winchester down to Southampton and Portsmouth. There would have been some movement within this area. Most men spent a week or so training for house to house combat in Southampton. Exercise Fabius, their last rehearsal for D-Day landed them on the coast south of Chichester. Their assembly area for the invasion was Hiltingbury Camp, inside what's now Chandler's Ford.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:31 PM   #36
Heather Smith

Hi Kevin,
Thanks for all the information.
From the information I found on Ancestry, it looks like my uncle enlisted 21 Jan 43 in Regina. The record I have of his movements end 31 Dec 43 and at that time he was not yet with RWR. So, if you found that he joined the RWR in January 44, I am happy to hear that.

I have requested information on my uncle from RWR, including War Diaries, Nominal Role, movements, etc . I expect I will need to go to LAC for some of the information, but I am still hoping that RWR will have something.

Wouldn't records relating to RWR's activities/movements, etc. War Diaries, Nominal Rolls, etc. be kept at RWR in an archives? I can understand individual records being sent to LAC.

I appreciate your explanation re: the workings of Nominal Rolls and about RWR's movements in 44.

Heather
Old 03-24-2017, 11:55 PM   #37
Heather Smith

Can you tell me what identification a soldier had to carry? Was it just the ID Tags they wore around their neck?

Do you think many men were killed in the water before even reaching the beaches? Would it be as a result of bullets only or also mines?
Thanks for your answers.
Heather
Old 03-25-2017, 04:03 PM   #38
kez

The card in post 4 shows he left hospital 6 Jan 44 (probably to 2 CIRU), and was posted from 2 CIRU to RWR 28 Jan 44.

I think you are on the right track with the RWR museum. If you are able to determine which Coy he was in, that is a big step and it's usually a challenge to get anything more precise than that.

The official War Diary is held in Ottawa and is the most complete, often including maps, airphotos and miscellaneous other documents. There were actually two other copies of the Diary, though these generally only include textual documents - the daily description of activities, the message logs and possibly their Daily Orders. One of those copies went to the War Office in the UK and is now in their Archives and the other often seems to have gone back to the unit. Many of those third copies have been lost or destroyed since. I know the Museum has transcribed the Daily Orders, a key source for Coy information, but am not sure what else they have.

I don't know what rules were in place regarding personal identification. Their ID discs were the official identification, though I think they also carried their service book that included basic info, next of kin, etc.

To my knowledge, most of their casualties were were due to small arms, mortar or shell fire, from the landing craft, through the water and onto the beach. I know the second wave of the Reginas on their left lost multiple craft to mines, but have not seen any references to that for the Winnipegs.

B Coy landed closest to Courseulles and the river and suffered the worst casualties, probably close to 100.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:50 PM   #39
Heather Smith

Hi Kevin,
Thank you for all of your information.

I looked at those documents on post #4 a number of times, but on the card I only read the bottom notation that advised of his death. My apologies. Thank you for pointing the information out to me.

Heather