Old 11-25-2017, 11:28 PM   #11
Temujin

Found “vehicle marking data” for 7th Recce for Oct 44. Vehicle is a 17pdr Valentine SP Archer

Also have WE info for Recce Regiments during this time period.

Sorry, I can’t upload them here (files are to large) but if you’d like them, send me a PM with your e-mail and I’ll send them to you

Cheers
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 12:20 AM   #12
Seroster
Chris Camfield

Oh, AWESOME. I'm unclear on what you mean by "vehicle marking data". But ok... I am in Toronto (hence access to the reference library - I'm really lucky!!) but I didn't know I might be able to look at Bash On Recce if I can get university library access.

This is kind of exciting :) Well learning new things always is.

Last edited by Seroster : 11-26-2017 at 12:27 AM.
Seroster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 02:05 AM   #13
Temujin

Sent you a bunch of documents. Enjoy
Old 11-26-2017, 10:38 AM   #14
Seroster
Chris Camfield

I've been reading more of the 7th AT's war diary this morning and it looks like all their SPs were M-10s. They replaced some 3"s with 17-pounders in January '45. And in a summary of the move to the Rhine, T-16720 Image 45, they are described as having two troops of M-10 17 Pounders and two troops of towed 17s with Ram towers.

It makes much more sense tactically - I believe the Valentine SPs were slower and the rear-facing 17 pounder gun would make them less suitable for attachment to recce in a pursuit role.

So that's disappointing for my research BUT if you follow 56 Battery in the war diary they really had a very interesting time, being attached at various points to 3 Canadian Infantry Division, the 53rd (Welsh) Infantry Div and the 51st Highlanders. I guess that is not surprising given they were corps troops, but I didn't expect them to get lent out to the Brits :)

Thank you for all the help!

Last edited by Seroster : 11-26-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:53 AM   #15
Temujin

It wasn’t ‘unusual” for Canadian Army and British Army (and other Nationalities, Like the Polish Armoured Division, which was part of the First Canadian Army for some time) to be “lent out” to each other..........when the units were serving together, of course they all supported each other. And many major operations had a mixture of Units from different Armies (British, Canadian, US etc) supporting each other.

If you read the history of the Canadian’s in Italy, you will see that they were part of larger British and American Armies and served with and alongside of New Zealand, British, Indian, US and other troops.

During the entire war, Canadian soldiers, sailors and airmen were attached and part of other Allied Units all over the world.......and they to our units.

Two “Aircraft Carrier’s” (Nabob and Puncher) were Royal Navy ships.....but were “crewed” almost completely by Canadian’s (except for their “air wings”).

And of course Canadian airmen served in almost every RAF Squadron, around the world.

AND, you can’t forget about NEWFOUNDLAND......they were not part of Canada during the war (they were still a British Colony) and their men and women served in British Army units throughout the war (They raised many Artillery units that served in North Africa etc etc)
Old 11-26-2017, 04:17 PM   #16
kez

Seroster,

Have you tracked down the post-war history of 6 A/Tk? It's a fairly faithful rehash of the WD, but has quite a few photos. All the SPs appear to be M-10s to my eye, but worth a closer look. I have a PDF version with poor photo quality that I could share, but might be worth tracking down the original book to follow up.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:22 PM   #17
Seroster
Chris Camfield

Oh, sure. I just forgot that at this time those British infantry units were part of the same Canadian corps.

While we fought alongside all our allies as you probably know there were some pretty firm lines, like divisional boundaries in an attack or on the front lines.

I picked up a copy of Perhaps They Left Us Up There by a Newfoundlander veteran which I'll get to at some point!
Old 11-26-2017, 04:24 PM   #18
Seroster
Chris Camfield

Kez... I may have? I need to take better notes.

I don't think there is any chance of them being Valentine SPs if they look like M10s to you. They look so totally different - the M-10 with its central turret and barrel projecting out past the front of the tank, and the Valentine with a compartment and the gun over the engine deck.

Last edited by Seroster : 11-26-2017 at 04:26 PM.