Old 10-24-2014, 01:00 PM   #1
Temujin

Default Digitization of WW1 Military Records

As Many of you know, Library and Archives Canada has undertaken the digitization of all WW1 service records. This massive project is underway now. More information on the the project is available on the LAC website.

All the records will be available on line for FREE, in the coming year. (or so)

Yesterday, I was researching a "Anderson", on the LAC website, and I found that ALL the Anderson's records on the page I was researching HAVE BEEN DIGITIZED and are now available on line.

So, the work is finally starting to show up on line.

When you go to a record, if digitized, you will see a PDF file, which on opening, will automatically download the record to your computer.

I did want to let eveyone know the project is "working" and hopefully within the next year or so, all records will be available, opening up a HUGE resource to Canada and the world.

Temujin

Last edited by Temujin : 10-24-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 03:30 AM   #2
BFBSM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the update. Good to see it coming along.
BFBSM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #3
Biggu

I really struggle with trying to access the search mode at the LAC, is there an easy short cut?
Biggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:03 PM   #4
BFBSM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggu View Post
I really struggle with trying to access the search mode at the LAC, is there an easy short cut?
Biggu, I have found it easier to Bookmark the Military Heritage page: http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discove...-heritage.aspx, then select the database I wish to search from there. On each database page there is a link: Search:Database which enables an easy search process.

Works for me, may work for you. Let me know what you think.

If you want to search other areas of the online records available using the Online Research button at the top of the page takes you to other databases, etc.

Mark
Old 11-08-2014, 06:45 PM   #5
Temujin

UPDATE on Digitization Project

A random search of "B" names, and the records in "B" seems to digitized now. I checked "C" names, but not yet.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #6
BFBSM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
UPDATE on Digitization Project

A random search of "B" names, and the records in "B" seems to digitized now. I checked "C" names, but not yet.
Thanks, at this rate, quite a while before they get to "R", for which I am waiting.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #7
Biggu

Thanks Mark I will give it a try, as soon as I get a day off WORK !! Many thanks for the suggestion..... will let you know for sure..cheers
Jeff
Biggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:20 PM   #8
BFBSM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggu View Post
Thanks Mark I will give it a try, as soon as I get a day off WORK !! Many thanks for the suggestion..... will let you know for sure..cheers
Jeff
Old 12-07-2015, 11:04 AM   #9
Temujin

Update of November 2015

As of today, 217,062 of 640,000 files are available online via our Soldiers of the First World War: 1914–1918 database. Please visit the Digitization of the Canadian Expeditionary Force Service Files page for more details on the digitization project.

Library and Archives Canada is digitizing the service files systematically, from box 1 to box 10686, which roughly corresponds to alphabetical order. Please note that over the years, the content of some boxes has had to be moved and, you might find that the file you want, with a surname that is supposed to have been digitized, is now located in another box that has not yet been digitized. So far, we have digitized the following files:

Latest box digitized: Box #3121 and surname Fitzpatrick.

Last edited by Temujin : 12-08-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:59 AM   #10
BFBSM
Super Moderator

Default Digitization of the Canadian Expeditionary Force Personnel Service Files Update

Quote:
As of today, 416,749 of 640,000 files are available online in our Personnel Records of the First World War database. Please visit the Digitization of the Canadian Expeditionary Force Service Files page for more details on the digitization project.

Library and Archives Canada is digitizing the service files systematically, from box 1 to box 10686, which roughly corresponds to alphabetical order. Please note that over the years, the content of some boxes has had to be moved and, you might find that the file you want, with a surname that is supposed to have been digitized, is now located in another box that has not yet been digitized. So far, we have digitized the following files:

Latest box digitized: Box 7059 and last name McLelland.
Please check the database regularly for new additions and if you still have questions after checking the database, you may contact us directly at 1-866-578-7777 for more assistance.
https://thediscoverblog.com/2017/03/...of-march-2017/