Old 04-14-2017, 02:52 PM   #11
Temujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by joym View Post
Do you know if the military have kept medical records dating back that far? And if so can they be accessed as the service records were? I am sure that any records kept locally have long since been destroyed.
His military medical records would be at LAC in Ottawa. I'm not sure what "package" you ordered. If you ordered the "geni package", they just give you a short synopsis of his records, not the complete records. You could try and order his complete records, or go to LAC to see the records.
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:21 PM   #12
joym

I did request the genealogy package. So I will request the more complete records. I am planning a trip to Ottawa in the fall so will likely go myself as I expect it will take an additional 9 to 10 months for a second request.

Once again, thank you for all of your help.
joym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:22 PM   #13
joym

One further question regarding LAC - if you want to go in person to look at specific records do you need to make a request / appointment in advance?
Old 04-14-2017, 04:25 PM   #14
kez

I'd recommend registering and pre-ordering to ensure there are no issues. Retrieval isn't immediate. Think on the order of 24 hours for planning, though they often beat that.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:56 PM   #15
Temujin

Quote:
I did request the genealogy package. So I will request the more complete records. I am planning a trip to Ottawa in the fall so will likely go myself as I expect it will take an additional 9 to 10 months for a second request.

Once again, thank you for all of your help.
Hi Joy......I might suggest that you contact LAC now (by phone) and "see" if the complete record has been digitized. Sometimes, when someone orders the "geni package" they in fact (since they have the file out) digitize the ENTIRE records. And if it has already been done, then its just a matter of pulling up the correct record and sending you a copy..........therefore cutting down the wait time to "days"

That's my suggestions, if they DON'T have the complete record done, then your suggestion of going to LAC and seeing the record (and taking photo's of the pages) is the quickest method. As KEZ recommends, you do have to make an appointment so they can pull the file (its in another building) and have it ready for you when you arrive.

Cheers
Old 04-14-2017, 05:06 PM   #16
joym

Once again thank you all for the suggestions. I will contact LAC after the long weekend and see what I can discover. Keeping my fingers crossed that the file was digitized!
Old 04-14-2017, 07:58 PM   #17
Temujin

Quote:
Once again thank you all for the suggestions. I will contact LAC after the long weekend and see what I can discover. Keeping my fingers crossed that the file was digitized!

Good luck, some info on visiting LAC for you and a link:

Retrievals and Consultation
Most of our collection must be consulted onsite at 395 Wellington Street in downtown Ottawa. Documents must remain in the consultation rooms.

Ordering materials before your visit will make your trip more efficient, since our documents are stored in closed-stack areas open only to Library and Archives Canada (LAC) staff.

Lockers are available for short-term storage of documents. You can book a locker onsite from staff at a circulation desk on the third floor or in the “Additional Information” field when you order materials in advance.

Our Research Tools will help you identify the material you wish to consult.

If you have any trouble finding what you need, please Ask Us a Question.

Published Material

Onsite clients can request published material using the AMICUS OPAC catalogue, which is available through the public computers on the 2nd and 3rd floor. Retrievals usually take between two to three working hours. The waiting period may be longer if the requested materials are stored in another building.

Published material is delivered to the Pick-Up Shelves in the Textual Documents Consultation Room on the 3rd floor.

Textual Archival Records

Most of LAC’s archival documents are not stored at 395 Wellington Street.

Onsite clients can request textual archival records using the paper Request for Archival Material form. You can find copies of this form in the Textual Documents Consultation Room on the 3rd floor.

Retrieval of textual archival records usually takes between 24 and 48 hours. Requests are processed only during working hours

Documents are delivered to the Textual Documents Consultation Room on the 3rd floor, or to your locker by request

Certain documents are restricted. Please contact reference services for more details.

Microforms

Self-service microform in the Microform Consultation Room (3rd floor) includes:

Archival material on microfilm
Select newspapers on microfilm
Self-service microform in the Reference Services Room (2nd floor) includes:

Telephone books
Reference books and sources

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/service...sultation.aspx