Old 04-10-2017, 12:30 AM   #1
Dino

Default Searching for B36109

My Dad was a gunner/radio op overseas in WWII. I recently acquired a WWII knapsack and asked him about the number inked on it. He told me his army number started with a 'K' which indicated British Columbia. The knapsack I have has a number that starts with a 'B' and I am curious if anyone can tell me from which province it was issued. Better yet, the number on the knapsack is B36109; there are also initials following the number, so you may even know by whom this knapsack was used during the war. I would like to return the knapsack 'home' to the family where I feel it rightfully belongs. Please let me know of any information you have that may assist me in returning this item of sentimental value 'home.' Thanks.
Dino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:53 AM   #2
Temujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
My Dad was a gunner/radio op overseas in WWII. I recently acquired a WWII knapsack and asked him about the number inked on it. He told me his army number started with a 'K' which indicated British Columbia. The knapsack I have has a number that starts with a 'B' and I am curious if anyone can tell me from which province it was issued. Better yet, the number on the knapsack is B36109; there are also initials following the number, so you may even know by whom this knapsack was used during the war. I would like to return the knapsack 'home' to the family where I feel it rightfully belongs. Please let me know of any information you have that may assist me in returning this item of sentimental value 'home.' Thanks.
We can try to help you with this... First the "B" represents Military District No 2, this was Western Ontario. So that is where he would have joined up.

Next the number 36109 means the unit he originally joined, which was No 5 Company, Veterans Guard of Canada.

The Veterans Guard of Canada were "older soldiers" who served in WW1, and the government allowed these units to be formed and to use these former soldiers to guard vital points in Canada, also they were used as Guards for Prisoner of War Camps etc.

I'll see where No 5 Company, VGC were stationed if I can find it

Last edited by Temujin : 04-10-2017 at 01:55 AM.
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:54 AM   #3
Temujin

Here's a link to more info on the Veteran's Guard of Canada

http://www.canadaatwar.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=19699

Another task, which grew much larger during 1940, was guarding internment and prisoner of war camps. From the beginning of the war, guards were required for the camps in which enemy aliens and other persons considered dangerous were interned. After the disaster in France in 1940, when a German attempt at invading Britain seemed likely, the British Government asked Canada to accept custody of 4000 internees and 3000 prisoners of war, whose presence in the United Kingdom might be dangerous in the event of invasion. On 10 June 1940 the War Committee of the Cabinet agreed. Subsequently the numbers increased until at the peak, in October 1944, Canada was holding for the United Kingdom 34,193 prisoners, of whom 254 were civilian internees. Canada held 853 other prisoners on her own responsibility. A total of 5524 all ranks of the Army were employed at this time as staff and guards. A Directorate of Prisoners of War had been set up at the beginning of 1943 to supervise the work. Guarding the camps was at first the responsibility of the Canadian Provost Corps, but in May 1941 full responsibility for them was transferred to the Veterans Guard of Canada.

It may be noted here that the Veterans Guard had greatly expanded since its inception in May 1940. By March 1941 there were 29 active companies with a total strength of 206 officers and 6360 other ranks. Of these, 98 officers and 2848 other ranks were guarding internment camps, the balance of the personnel being employed in guarding vulnerable points and training. There were in addition 43 reserve companies with a total strength of 183 officers and 3765 other ranks. The Guard reached its peak of strength in June of 1943, when its Active strength was 451 officers and 9806 other ranks. This included one company in the United Kingdom-the General Duty Company at C.M.H.Q.‹and one each in the Bahamas, British Guiana and Newfoundland, in addition to 37 companies and 17 internment camp staffs in Canada.

Last edited by Temujin : 04-10-2017 at 02:07 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:59 AM   #4
Temujin

As you can see from this list, No 5 Company was located in Petewawa, Ontario

Last edited by Temujin : 04-10-2017 at 01:56 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:45 AM   #5
Temujin

This camp was at Petawawa, but I'm not positive No 5 Company was used as guards here

Last edited by Temujin : 04-10-2017 at 01:57 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:32 PM   #6
Dino

Default That helps, thank you!

Thanks for letting me know that the knapsack I am safeguarding originated in western Ontario, and with which company. There are also initials on the knapsack following the numbers - R.B.
Dino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:32 PM   #7
Temujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Thanks for letting me know that the knapsack I am safeguarding originated in western Ontario, and with which company. There are also initials on the knapsack following the numbers - R.B.
The only way to find out "who" this is, is to try and order his military records from LAC. I know you don't have his name, but with his Regimental Number, they "may" tell you the name of the man (or they may not, for privacy reasons).

Another avenue, is to research the files for this Company at LAC. The file "may" have the nominal rolls of men in the unit.....or it may not.

I'll see if I can find any files that may help.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:35 PM   #8
Temujin

Here are the "files" the LAC has on No 5 Company, Veterans Guard of Canada

Inspection reports by Inspectors General - No. 5 Company (includes No. 2C Company), Veterans Guard of Canada, Canadian Active Service Force. 1940-1941,1944. File.
RG24-C-1. File number: 8328-491. Microfilm reel number: C-4983.
Textual material. [Access: Restricted by law]. Government.
Finding aid number: 24-8

Reports of District Officers Commanding - No. 5 Company, Veterans Guard of Canada. 1943. File.
RG24-C-1. File number: 8589-115. Microfilm reel number: C-4995.
Textual material. [Access: Open]. Government.

Inspection reports by Inspectors General - No. 5 Company, Veterans Guard of Canada (Details), Arvida, Chute--Caron, Ile Maligne. 1940. File.
RG24-C-1. File number: 8328-457. Microfilm reel number: C-4983.
Textual material. [Access: Restricted by law]. Government.

No. 5 General Duty Company, Veterans Guard of Canada. 1942/10-1944/05. File.
RG24-C-3. Volume/box number: 15340. File number: 2208.
Finding aid number: 24-60

No. 5 General Duty Company, Veterans Guard of Canada. 1940/07-1942/09. File.
RG24-C-3. Volume/box number: 15339. File number: 2208.
Finding aid number: 24-60

The only way to search these files is to physically VISIT LAC in Ottawa OR you can hire a private researcher to find them for you (could be costly)

That's about the best I can suggest for now, unless one of our other members have a idea.

Cheers