Old 03-27-2017, 09:14 AM   #1
Avialogs

Default Dakota III FZ668 / 271 Squadron / 1st Canadian parachute bataillon

I am trying to find more information about the Dakota III FZ668. I am trying to trace her history.

I know already she belonged to the 271 Squadron and took part in D-DAY operations, took off from Down Ampney, but I would like to find more precisely which mission she carried. I identified 2 objectives for the 271 Squadron.

The first one seems to have the Merville battery as target, the second one, carrying the 1st Canadian parachute bataillon was targeting two bridges on the Dives River.

Any help would be appreciated !

Benoit
Avialogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:51 AM   #2
Temujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avialogs View Post
I am trying to find more information about the Dakota III FZ668. I am trying to trace her history.

I know already she belonged to the 271 Squadron and took part in D-DAY operations, took off from Down Ampney, but I would like to find more precisely which mission she carried. I identified 2 objectives for the 271 Squadron.

The first one seems to have the Merville battery as target, the second one, carrying the 1st Canadian parachute bataillon was targeting two bridges on the Dives River.

Any help would be appreciated !

Benoit
The most precise method is to order the Air Operations Books for the dates required from the British National Archives. These records will give you the date you need. The cost is to bad, about $9.00 Cdn for a month of records. So if you just need specific months, it isn't to bad, but if you want more eg a year of records will cost over $100. Here's the link to the BNA site, just scroll down at it will explain what is available and how to order them (most are on line and can be immediately downloaded after payment)

http://testlb.nationalarchives.gov.u...oks-1939-1945/
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote