Old 02-09-2018, 09:46 AM   #1
Easy_Eight

Default Help in finding my great-grandfather

Allow me to introduce myself first: I'm Yoeri, born, raised and still live in the Netherlands. A country eternally grateful to the sacrifice the Canadian Armed Forces made during the liberation of my country. During our infamous 'Hongerwinter' the Canadian Forces supplied us with food and that caused the Dutch to not only see the Canadians as our liberators, but as our saviours as well.

My great-grandfather was a Private in the Canadian Armed Forces and during his stay in the Netherlands he fathered a child: My grandmother. My grandmother was adopted because my great-grandfather left before she was born and my great-grandmother was too young to raise a child in those desperate times and she was just 19 years old. It has been my grandmother's life-long quest to find out more about her real father. My great-grandmother was always very reluctant to speak about him. We only know his name: Danny MacKenzie, a member of the Nova Scotia Highlanders. i've searched trough the database of the Canadian government and found a DaniŽl Joseph MacKenzie, a member of the Nova Scotia Highlanders with service number F89041 and died in 1947 due to wartime related injuries or disease.

I'm curious if there is anyone on this forum with relatives who served in the Nova Scotia Highlanders regiment alongside my great-grandfather, and if so, if there are pictures, diaries, relatives and mentions about him and if they can be shared with me to give my grandmother the answers and peace she deserves after a quest that started as soon as she was born: 1946. I'm doing an official request to the Canadian government to see his wartime documents to find out if he was married and had more offspring. is it possible for someone from the Netherlands to view those documents? I do not have a proof of death.

I'm sorry if i'm being unclear, or have absolutely butchered the English language in this rather long thread. hope to hear from anyone soon.

Kind regards from the Netherlands.

Yoeri.
Easy_Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:24 AM   #2
Temujin

Yoeri

Unfortunately, I think you have the wrong man. Here is his records. You can see he made it to England, but then was sent home to Canada in 1942 and discharged. So this man did not serve in NW Europe or the Netherlands.

Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:40 AM   #3
Temujin

Photo removed

Last edited by Temujin : 02-09-2018 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Incorrect photo
Old 02-09-2018, 11:50 AM   #4
Temujin

Hereís a link to lots of info and photoís of the Regiment thru the war. Possibly you could find a clue in this info.

http://www.parl.ns.ca/highlanders/
Old 02-09-2018, 12:23 PM   #5
Easy_Eight

Thank you so very much for your quick response and work. It may be the wrong man, but a lot of things do add up. Danny is obviously a shortened version of DaniŽl, my great grandfather served in the North Nova Scotia Regiment and the Regiment fought near Zutphen. Nevertheless me and my grandmother would like to thank you very much. The search continues ��
Easy_Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:53 PM   #6
IrRC

1 thing I would suggest looking into would be the History of NNSH. it is titled, "No Retreating Footsteps: The Story of the North Nova Scotia Highlanders" by Will Bird.

It may contain a Nominal roll, that may help you. The book is quite rare but you may find a copy online or even a possible inter library loan.