Old 08-11-2017, 05:04 PM   #11
Temujin

Any members, can you help?

In an earlier post, I posted an article (post no 9) about a Lieut. Col Rock, dying of injuries, while under training as a Glider Pilot. I can not find his death on ANY Canadian records. I've searched, LAC, Ancestry.ca, CVWM, CWGC site, Royal Canadian Legion and othe sites, and their is no canadian casualty with that name of Rank in 1942.

Can any member help? To see if you can find info.......or possible the newspaper has the wrong spelling of his name.....or possible an incorrect name all together.

It is possible that he may have been in the British Army??? But their is no Commonwealth War Graves Commission records that I can find

Cheers
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:09 PM   #12
Temujin

Sorry, I just found it. He was in the British Army. The Ottawa paper that reported it made it "sound" like he was Canadian.

Here's the info:

Last edited by Temujin : 08-11-2017 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:11 PM   #13
Temujin

Maj Harold Norman “Andy” Andrews, DFM and Bar (Ret'd)

Andy was originally a member of the Royal Engineers who was evacuated from Dunkirk, France as part of the British Expeditionary Force in June 1940. In 1942, he transferred to the Glider Pilot Regiment and is believed to be one of only four glider pilots who survived all four main glider operations in WW II in Europe.

Andy was awarded the Distinguished Flying Medal for his courage and precision flying in the invasion of Sicily in 1943. He then participated in the 6th Airborne Division D-Day landings. His third major operation was Operation MARKET GARDEN in Arnhem in Holland where he received a Bar to his DFM for his skilled and courageous flying into the landing zone. His last major operation was supporting the capture of bridges over the River Ijssel near Hamminkeln in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany where his glider disintegrated on landing but none of the troops were seriously hurt.

Andy immigrated to Canada in 1953 and joined the Royal Canadian Engineers where he served in various appointments in Chilliwack and Vancouver.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:16 PM   #14
Temujin

Attached is a list of Canadian soldiers who qualified as Glider Pilots in their military careers (since 1940)

http://www.canadianarmyaviation.ca/p...ster_list.html