Old 03-18-2017, 03:17 PM   #11
kez

Heather,

The file is currently packed away, but it was on a form that recorded family/education/work history, aptitude, etc. I've seen 2 or 3 variants of that form and think they had different purposes. Some seem to be from an interview shortly after enlistment, others from after some training was completed. 'It was simply a note the he 'received first call'. It's not a specific box on the form.

Volunteer is a slightly ambiguous term. In the context of the Army in this period, it really means volunteered for active service - could be sent anywhere the Army required, particularly overseas. After 1939/40, lots of guys put off that decision until they were notified that they were to be called up for service.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:00 PM   #12
Heather Smith

Default Lac ?

Kez,
Thank you for that information. Do you think this would be in the information that lac has?

Reading the info on the lac site, after I get to Option #4 and fill in some search info, it keeps coming back 0 results. What can I do about that? I have found the exact same information that I downloaded off the Ancestry site, so I don't need that.

Also, it says that there may be as many as 1000 different documents and, since you can't go through the information -- unless you go to the actual office --- they will copy everything that is in the file/box. I live in Alberta.

What types of information will be on those 1000 pages?
And is it lac who would be able to provide me with a reproduction of his original army photo?

Thank you again, if you can help.

Heather
Heather Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:43 PM   #13
kez

Hard to say if you will find confirmation of a call-up in his file. I've only seen an indication a handful of times (I've researched well over 100 files, though many were earlier enlistees) and it seems to have depended on the interviewer to make note of it. I would expect those forms to be included in the genealogy package but it's my impression not every file has them. Processes changed through the war, so there is no 'standard' file.

Complete file will generally get you a lot of medical and dental records and stuff related to settling his estate. In most cases it's extra $ for no useful information, but it ensures you have exhausted that avenue if there is something you are looking for. Info on the nature/circumstances of wounds (generally not there for those Killed in Action) and clues to place a man in a Company within his unit are the kinds of things I recommend the complete file for. Other correspondence from family etc. sometimes shows up.

Don't recall if you've mentioned a photo elsewhere. They are almost never found in an Army personnel file, so I would suspect if you have one it was done privately. If there is one in his file, you might need to have a researcher on site flag it for reproduction. LAC is generally not keen to dig through files for a particular item.

Not sure on your 0 results question. The only link I see under option 4 is to the First World War database?

If you haven't already, I would definitely try the RWR Museum. They have transcribed a lot of Battalion Orders etc. and might be able to provide a bit more, especially which Coy he was in. If you can narrow that down, the RWR War Diary has some very good Coy level accounts of D-Day.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:14 PM   #14
Heather Smith

Thank you for all of that information. I have Option 4 figured out, but am not going ahead with that option, yet.

I have sent an email to RWR, hoping they can provide me with more details.
Heather
Heather Smith is offline   Reply With Quote